Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding pattern feature with correct spacing

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
trenthoskings
1007 Views, 27 Replies

adding pattern feature with correct spacing

The Inventor 2013 file i attached has the EOP rolled up because it is a large size (not many features)...can this be modelled so the part is not so large?

How do i add the pattern also between the diamond pattern in which there will be a half diamond at each end with full diamonds between

What is the way to work out the patterns so that between the diamonds there is same size gap all around the roller?

Regards

Trent

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
JDMather
in reply to: trenthoskings

@trenthoskings wrote:

What is the way to work out the patterns so that between the diamonds there is same size gap all around the roller?

Regards

Trent

This will be a function of the circumference of the cylinder.  Can the diameter of the cylinder or size of the diamonds change to make perfect (which one is the controlling parameter)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 28
trenthoskings
in reply to: JDMather

Hi

I would like the diameter of the cyclinder to be 162mm and the diamonds size can be changed to make the pattern perfect

Thanks

trent

Message 4 of 28
rdyson

Ignoring that you want Ø162mm and your model is Ø200mm, the image shows one way to space the diamonds equally radially:

Capture.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 28
trenthoskings
in reply to: rdyson

Hi rdyson

Yes 162mm is the correct value not 200mm after a re-think

Would you have a clearer picture please?

Thanks

Message 6 of 28
rdyson

copy image to a new tab, click to enlarge

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 28
trenthoskings
in reply to: rdyson

That is much better....thank you

Message 8 of 28

What caused the file to be so large...would it have been the Emboss feature?

If yes would there be a way to make the part with diamond patterns which would be a smaller file size?

Thank you

Trent

Message 9 of 28
graemev

@trenthoskings wrote:

How do i add the pattern also between the diamond pattern in which there will be a half diamond at each end with full diamonds between

Regards

Trent

Roll up the EOP marker just above the Circular Pattern.  Create a workplane using the X-Y plane and X-axis as reference geometry and an angle value of 180°/(circular pattern quantity) - "180deg / d26" in your case.  Create a parallel offset workplane just like you did for the first set of diamonds.  Sketch and emboss as before, being sure to reuse existing parameters to keep the diamonds consistent with the first set no matter how they may change.  Roll down the EOP and edit the Circular Pattern feature set to include the second set of diamonds just created.

Message 10 of 28
graemev

@trenthoskings wrote:

What caused the file to be so large...would it have been the Emboss feature?

If yes would there be a way to make the part with diamond patterns which would be a smaller file size?

Thank you

Trent

I can't speak to embossing generating a larger file size, but you could have done the following as an alternate:

Sketch the diamonds on the X-Y plane.  Extrude beyond the desired final size.  Pattern as needed.  (Include the extra diamonds as mentioned previously, if so desired.) Sketch on the end of the cylinder: a circle of the intended over all outside diameter.  (Parametric linking to your cylinder OD would be a good idea here.)  Extrude-Intersect-All to cut away the excess.

Message 11 of 28
trenthoskings
in reply to: graemev

Thanks...you have lost me with the 180°/(circular pattern quantity) - "180deg / d26"...the rest i can do but this part here not sure

Message 12 of 28

instead of adding diamond shapes would also the gaps between the diamond have also worked.Extrude cut out diagonal lines and pattern and then do the same  extrude cut in the opposite direction and pattern giving then diamonds shapes as well

Message 13 of 28
graemev

@trenthoskings wrote:

Thanks...you have lost me with the 180°/(circular pattern quantity) - "180deg / d26"...the rest i can do but this part here not sure

You're looking to make another set of diamond shapes inbetween the existing rows - half the angle between the rows: 360° divided by the number of rows in the circular pattern, divided by 2.  If you use this equation for setting the angle of the workplane, you can change the number of rows in the circular pattern and the second set of diamonds updates to suit.

Message 14 of 28
graemev

@trenthoskings wrote:

instead of adding diamond shapes would also the gaps between the diamond have also worked.Extrude cut out diagonal lines and pattern and then do the same  extrude cut in the opposite direction and pattern giving then diamonds shapes as well

Yes, or you could do a pair helical cuts from the end of the cylinder, one right-hand, one left-hand.

There are many ways to skin that cat.

Message 15 of 28

Regarding why the file is large, it is mainly due to Emboss Wrap to Face. There was an issue in the way the feature was computed before R2015 leading the behavior. If you recreate the feature in R2015, the file size will be greatly reduced (1.2MB vs 7.5MB).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 28

2014 part attached...surely there is a simpler way to create this pattern.If so could someone please post so i can see how it is done

Thanks

Message 17 of 28
JDMather

There is a much easier way. 

I will post my solution when I get a chance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 18 of 28
JDMather

Open the attached file.

Drag the red End of Part marker down step-by-step to see how I built the model.

Message 19 of 28
trenthoskings

Thanks JD

I see how you created,,,very good

One question 

If i change the diameter and width of the roller how do you calculate the correct number of occurrences and diamond sizes so they fit exactly as you have done.

Example: Dia = 160 & Width = 300

Dp ypu use a formula or technique so all diamonds are the same size and equal distances between each diamond

Thanks

Message 20 of 28
JDMather

I did not use a formula.

I had intended to tie it all up parametrically - but ran out of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report