Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adaptivity help

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jonnyrotten
1218 Views, 10 Replies

adaptivity help

Hi there,

I am having a really difficult time trying to make a part adaptive. I will upload my assembly and parts in customer files as "adaptivity problem". I would really appreciate it if someone coud take a quick look at why my arrow won't become adaptive. I have set up an animation so that the assembly leans to 30 degress and i have an arrow that represents gravity that must stay perpendicular to the part called "road". As the assembly leans, I want the arrow to end on the road but if i constrain the arrow tip to the road, it throws up error messages when I try to animate in studio. Its as if the adaptivity isn't on but the part is adaptive and i have also made it adaptive in the assmbly. The assembly is called "assemblytest".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jonny

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

You can post your files here. No need for customer files. What version of Inventor are you using?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 11

Oh, i presumed that is what it was for but i have attached my files here now. I'm using inventor 2010.

thanks

Message 4 of 11

I do not have much time for this, but It looks like you have gone a wrong direction.  Gravity does not change,  The road may/will. The arrow should be the first part (Grounded) - no need for any constraints.

If the road angle changes then Gravity will stay the same. 

I am assuming there is some type of load on the wheels above the road. as a result, As a result, then Center of  Gravity for the separate subassembly (call it loaded vehicle) will be impacted by the direction of  Gravity. If the vehicle is in motion, then Centrifugal Force will also come into play.

Are you planning to calculate all forces?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for your reply,

No I am just showing the lean animation as part of a presentation and do not need to calculate forces. For disscussions sake, lets say that my arrow isn't gravity and its just a part, surely it should work as an adaptive part and one end of it could be constrained to the road and then shorten as the assembly leans?

I am not running this in dynamic simulation, just a simple animation with an adaptive part.

I have resultant and centrifugal forces but didn't include them in the uploaded assy as i am not stuck on those. Its only the arrow that I have included that isn't working.

Thanks for your advice.

Message 6 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: jonnyrotten

I noticed that your parts and assembly could probably be simplified quite a bit - extra workplanes and axis, sketches not constrained.

And watch out for this beginner mistake (see attached).  You tap drill size is incorrect.  If you used the Hole feature for threaded holes rather than extruded circles you would avoid making this mistake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
jonnyrotten
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the input - thankfully i'm not going to be using these for manufacturing drawings so it doesn't really matter. There are many planes/axes because these parts are used in many assemblies and animations. There is no excuse for unconstrained sketches though!

I have attached a simple assembly - could someone please tell me why the arrow isn't behaving as an adaptive part even though adaptivity is turned on in both the part and the assembly? I should be able to change angle2 to 10 degress and the arrow should shorten as its adaptive but instead it gives conflicting contraints.

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Message 8 of 11
jonnyrotten

I've got a little closer to the solution - the arrow doesn't seem to work as adaptive if its constrained to a work axis - it does work when it is constraint to parts. Anyone aware of this?

Message 9 of 11

Using an adaptive work axis should be fine. From a quick look it appears the problem is that the work axis does not drive your sketch geometry and the axis is not adaptive. See the attached video for a possible solution. This does not solve the issues JD mentions, only the adaptivity question.

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 10 of 11
coreyparks

Try this out.  I made a new arrow.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 11 of 11
jonnyrotten
in reply to: coreyparks

Patrick, Corey,

Thanks for your help - both seem to be very good ways of doing this. You've been an immense help as this forum always is.

Jonny

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report