Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Border edits...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cc_rider
1102 Views, 7 Replies

Zone Border edits...

Okay, I'm having a problem with a Zone Border.

I'm kind of a new user, but this behavior just doesn't seem right.

I created the Zone Border like normal. I edited the appearance of the 'ABCD1234' text slightly:

- changed to center and middle justification.

- changed width to 120%

- changed color to black

The edits to 'ABCD' took effect and look just right. The edits to '1234' don't stay edited. I save the sketch, it looks okay, then when I add it to Sheet:1, the numbers have gone back to blue and lost the width and justification edits. But the letters are fine. What the heck is going on?

c.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cc_rider
in reply to: cc_rider

It seems to accept the changes at random. I'll make a change and save the sketch. Then open it again, the change is there, so I change some more of the text and save the sketch again. Open it again, changes are there. Make another change, save. Open it again, all the changes are gone. 

If I'm doing something wrong, why did the changes to the letters work, but not the numbers?

Message 3 of 8
swhite

Make changes to your original template, then open the drawing desired, go to the manage tab and select the update. This should change all your styles to match the template.

If you just want it for this one drawing, it is likely one is a label text and the other a note or general text, so would need to change it in two places in your styles editor

Styles.PNG

Update.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 8
cc_rider
in reply to: swhite

Hello Steven,

Thank you for the reply. I am working in a template, not in an individual drawing. I exited Inventor completely, then pulled up the template: the zone border had SOME of the edits but not all... progress, right? So I opened the zone border to finish editing, made one change, then finished the sketch. The top and bottom numbers reverted to their previous format, including wiping out the edits that had been there when I opened it. It acts as though something is overriding whatever I try to do the numbers, but the letters ABCD keep their edits just fine. This is very weird.

Another suggestion was to edit the Default Border. But when I right-click on it, I do not get the option to edit it.

I have to assume I'm missing something here, but dang if I can make any sense of it. Why just the numbers? Why show some edits, then revert back when I exit the sketch (and save)?

Message 5 of 8
cc_rider

I finally got it. I went into the styles editor and created a new style. Deleted the border I had and made a new one, set the style to the new one.

Message 6 of 8
swhite

You have to rightclick and make a copy of the default border and name it something else. it will not let you change the default. never mind, it won't let you do that either :), but then I've never used the default, always just made one when needed. But figured it was the text style setting back to the default style on you, glad you got it working!

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8
cc_rider
in reply to: swhite

I got that far, thanks. I was making a new one called 'B-size_Zone_Border'
or something like that.

But I figured out the text styles are controlled in a different location,
under 'Styles'. I'm not sure why it allowed me to edit the text in the
Border editor, or why it kept the changes I made to the letters 'ABCD' but
not the numbers '1234'. Or even why it would save the changes sometimes,
only to revert back (or not, sometimes) when I opened it again. Very
inconsistent behavior, which made me think there was some kind of bug.
Unlikely, I know, but it does happen.

Thanks again for the help, it's great to have people to turn to!
Message 8 of 8
swhite

Kept the changes until it updated the styles in the drawing to match the styles as set. Saving does not necessarily cause an update to styles, even though it will to the model. Then opening can sometimes lead to style updates and sometimes not 🙂 I think it depends as in this instance whether it is a drawing text change, or a border text change. Since borders are on multiple sheets I figure it attempts to update it on opening. I guess it depends on which internal rules are ran first, but in reality it may be none of these 🙂

With the styles set you shouldn't have this problem again though.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report