Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your experiences with Inventor bugs (reports and fixes)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
alewer
1139 Views, 9 Replies

Your experiences with Inventor bugs (reports and fixes)

I'd like to hear everyone's experiences with bug reports and fixes. I've reported bugs through CER (including detailed descriptions), my reseller, the Autodesk subscription/support site, and most recently the product feedback form. I'd estimate that I've attempted to report 2-5 bugs per year for the last six years, and I can't think of a single one that's been fixed.

Here's a recent example (2013 SP1.1):

1-Open assembly

2-Select YZ and XY planes (by Ctrl+Click)

3-Click "Quarter Section View" (View Tab)

4-Right click, select "Three Quarter Section View"

5-Right click, select "OK"

6-Crash

I submitted this today (by CER), but experience tells me that this will never be fixed. Am I using the wrong channels? Is there a better mechanism for submitting bugs that I don't know about? How many of you have submitted bugs, and by which channels? How many of them have been fixed?

I don't want this to turn into an Autodesk bashing session. I really like Inventor, and I understand that bugs are inevitable. I just want to know whether my frustration is shared, and hopefully someone can share a success story or a better channel for submitting these bugs.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: alewer

I recommend you also post the steps to reproduce crash here http://beta.autodesk.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Greatwhitenorth

There's also the Report a Bug page at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=12331406

Bob

Message 4 of 10
alewer
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather, thanks for the tip on the beta site. Based on the beta site confidientiality policy, I doubt that you can tell me about how many of your bug reports result in fixes. But you know your way around this community, so I trust this is good advice. I'm signing up now. Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
alewer
in reply to: Greatwhitenorth

@bstewart wrote:

There's also the Report a Bug page at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=12331406

That looks promising... have you had successfully submitted a bug via this form that was fixed in a hotfix, service pack, or subsequent release?

Message 6 of 10
Greatwhitenorth

Actually, I've never used this form.  We have used the CER form with some success in the past.  Unfortunately nowadays, all we get is the automated "form-letter" request for our dataset.  They don't suggest what we should try anymore.

Good luck! 

Message 7 of 10
philip.s
in reply to: Greatwhitenorth

Hello everyone!

Outside of the avenues mentioned above, I also wanted to mention that submitting a technical support request via the Subscription Center is another great way to report a product specific issue or a bug.

Message 8 of 10
skyngu

I usually do similar steps as you but different order. it works fine.

1-Open assembly

2-select "Three Quarter Section View"

3-Select YZ plane,continue

4-Select  XY plane,continue

5-Right click, select "OK"

I hope autodesk will fix all bugs before get any useless new tools.

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Message 9 of 10
alewer
in reply to: philip.s

@philip.s wrote:

Outside of the avenues mentioned above, I also wanted to mention that submitting a technical support request via the Subscription Center is another great way to report a product specific issue or a bug.

Thanks for speaking up, Philip, but I did mention this. Some details: I've submitted two bugs (admittedly a small sample size) via subscription support. Cases 05047515 and 05214239. Both are "closed" with "change requests." Since 2010. In both cases, I prepared a good dataset illustrating the issue, wrote a detailed description, and spent time communicating about the issue. Two releases later, these bugs are unfixed.

Is my experience typical? Can you give me a sense of the percentage of closed/change request cases (on subscription center support) end up fixed in hotfixes, service packs, or new releases? I'd rather not waste time submitting these if nothing comes of them. But if they typically (even sometimes) get fixed, I'd be happy to spend the time submitting every bug I encounter. Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
chucksavatsky

Hi,

We are very interested in resolving crash issues that our customers encounter.  We have a team dedicated to looking at incoming crashes, trying to reproduce the crash, and logging a defect when reproduced.  These defects are treated with high priority and typically fixed in the next service pack or major release.  The timing of the fix is dependent on the risk, any technical challenge, and the frequency of the given issue.

We have been able to reproduce this issue on our latest internal build and are working on a fix for it.

Thanks very much for pointing this out to us!

Once these are resolved in a customer released build, we have a mechanism that automatically informs customers who are encountering the crash that it is fixed in a released build.

Can you help me look into the crashes that you have been submitting?  I'd appreciate if you could send me the email address you have been provding when submitting CER's on Inventor.  My email address is ChuckDOTSavatskyATAutodesk.com.  I'd like to understand the crashes you are submitting and whether others are resolved and why you are not being informed.

Thanks so much for your help in identifying this issue.

Regards,

Chuck Savatsky
Director Software Development Inventor
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report