Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You've Been Upgraded to Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate!

77 REPLIES 77
Message 1 of 78
jeanchile
1695 Views, 77 Replies

You've Been Upgraded to Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate!

Thank you for that I guess...  provided my subscription amount doesn't go up because of this.

It doesn't... does it AD!?!?!?

Inventor Professional
77 REPLIES 77
Message 2 of 78
DarrenP
in reply to: jeanchile

its the same price

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 78
Merrow
in reply to: DarrenP

I'm really happy about getting these new apps but how can they maintain the same subscription price for this enormous suite that they charged for Inventor Simulation Suite?

Message 4 of 78
BMiller63

It might not go up now, but be careful about the years to come. There have been many people who have expressed some unhappy dealings in the past with resellers who "gave" them AutoCAD Mechanical for the same price as regular AutoCAD only to find out 2 or 3 years later that the subscription for the "free" upgrade cost extra and that they would have to PAY to drop the upgrade and return to just regular AutoCAD.

If you can use the extra programs then you'll probably come out ahead or break even with the suites. But if not, you'll probably end up paying for something you're not using at some point in the future. AD has played the "upgrade" game over and over, and has made a lot of money doing it. More power to them, but I won't allow my budget to consumed by any vender that doesn't offer at least enough ROI to cover the cost of the product. And every time I see some "free" upgrade offer, I know to watch the magicians other hand!

You're asking the right questions, just beware of the replies from resellers, fanboys and the uninformed. I'd say the value of the suites can only be determined on a case by case basis.

Message 5 of 78
jeanchile
in reply to: BMiller63

@BMiller63 wrote:

... I'd say the value of the suites can only be determined on a case by case basis.

Exactly why I posted the semi-sarcastic inquiry. With an initial overview it looks like I'll be pickup a value of exactly ZERO.

Will they still have just Inventor Professional or will this be the future of this product line?

If I eventually have to pay for a bunch of crap I'm not using it will be time to evaluate other non-AD options.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 78
Merrow

I was planning to purchase a seat for 3DS Max Design and very much wanted the functionality of Alias Design so I was overjoyed to hear about the upgrade under my existing subscription. I literally did a happy dance around my office because these apps would have been a significant investment for me.

Well I'm just getting up now after taking a nap and it occurs to me to check out the Inventor website. It seems that the only way you can get the full version of Inventor is to buy this massive suite. Please tell me that is not true. Please tell me Autodesk isn't using their installed base of Inventor to block other 3D visualization and animation apps from entering the manufacturing sector and then expecting their users to pay for this move down the road. Such an aggressive marketing strategy would surely backfire, wouldn't it?

Message 7 of 78
DarrenP
in reply to: Merrow

yes you can still get inventor pro by itself it doesn't come with autocad or mechanical

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 78
mcgyvr
in reply to: Merrow

"You will not be charged for this upgrade during your current subscription term."

Your current subscription wording is the key there...

Be darn sure that next year you will see an increase (pretty sure that everyone is on yearly terms). That why they will give you the option of opting out of the Product Design Suites..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 78
BMiller63

Get it in writing!

I doubt that you'll get AD or your reseller to commit to quoting a subscription price for the future, but I would demand that they provide a written guarantee that I could opt out of the upgrade at any time in the future without having to pay a fee to do so. If they will not give you that in writing, that should tell you all you need to know about what they have planned for the future. Charging people to downgrade their license is a dirty trick. I really like AD's products, but their business and marketing practices are often unclear and underhanded. Add the parasitic resellers on top of that, and it can really leave a sour taste in your mouth.

I should say too, that I know that not all resellers are parasites, but because of the way AD forces customers to use a certain reseller based on region, many people lack the ability to choose a good one.

Message 10 of 78
Dennis_Jeffrey

Not quite true. Resellers are barred from selling outside their contracted area. However the customer can in writing, specify a reseller of choice. It's then up to Autodesk to resolve the issue.

Of course, you can always use a different reseller for support or training services. It's done all the time.

I should say too, that I know that not all resellers are parasites, but because of the way AD forces customers to use a certain reseller based on region, many people lack the ability to choose a good one.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 11 of 78
coreyparks
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis is completely correct.  The reseller we use is out on the east coast while we are in the midwest.  We had to get special permission to use them but I don't believe it was too big of a deal to get this done.  We just wern't happy with the vendors that served our area.  Plus we buy other software from this vendor already so we moved all of our engineering software to the same vendor.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 12 of 78
BMiller63
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

@Dennis_Jeffrey wrote:

... It's then up to Autodesk to resolve the issue.

True, but AD is not very willing to allow you to use another reseller, no matter how politely you ask. But I do not want to derail the thread to the subject of resellers, the point is get these things in writing from AD and the reseller.

These are business decisions. And it will reflect poorly on you if your supervisor thinks that you have been "taken" be a software vendor. You can try an explain that AD requires, this or that, but your boss is going to look at the bottom line and make a judgement on whether he thinks you spent the company money wisely.

As AD makes this major change to the way they package their product, it is important that you do your homework and gather all of the details, and ask all the questions (as the OP is doing), get it all in writing, and then make an informed decision that won't cost your company money that it can't justify spending, now or in the future.

Also consider this, now that you have all of that new software, where is the time and money for training going to come from? If you've used Inventor for anytime at all, you should know that the AD products generally take some invstment in time and training in order to make them really pay for themselves.

How many of us have AutoCAD Mechanical but don't really know how to use the extra tools, so we just use regular AutoCAD?  Are we really getting any value out of it then? If it's really free, then no, but it doesn't cost us anything. But if it costs extra in any way, then it better provide some Return On Investment.

Message 13 of 78
jeanchile

So do I understand this correctly...

If I buy a Toyota Corola and in a couple of years they tell me that I am no longer going to be able to get service on this vehicle but it doesn't matter because they are going to upgrade me for "free" to a Lexus SUV and then increase my monthly payment to suit and I don't need or want the extra space or the gas money that doesn't matter? I still have to pay $85,000 for a vehicle I don't want or need (and for a longer term) or pay a fee to go back to my Corola or  I can go to a different vehicle from a different company? Have I understood this correctly? I mean, I understand I am I am being dramatic by applying this practice to a different industry but that is kind of my point. If this practice seems ridiculous when applied to any other industry wouldn't it still be ridiculous here?

All of my employees are already trained in SW anyway. None of them came out of school with ANY Inventor training. I paid extra to have them trained in IV because I believed in the products. It doesn't matter if I believe in the products if I don't believe in the company does it?

Please help me understand this because I MUST be missing something.

Inventor Professional
Message 14 of 78
mcgyvr

Whats to understand..

You initially paid for the Inventor suite (which included Inventor and Autocad mechanical) and you pay a subscription fee.

Now you have been "upgraded" to Product design Suite Ultimate. With no increase in subscription costs this year. You are now simply getting more programs. If you don't use them..so what.

If for example next year Autodesk doubles the price for your subscription you can opt out of the ultimate suite and just go back to Inventor only.

I think the only people that will be hurt are those that will be purchasing Inventor in the future and also need Autocad. They will pay more than if they would have purchased it last year. But prices go up..thats life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 15 of 78
BMiller63

@jeanchile wrote:

So do I understand this correctly...

Make the Corolla a Ford 8N and the Lexus SUV a John Deere 9500, and then you have a more analogous comparison. These are tools used to a job, if they can't pay for themselves or they cost more to maintain that you can justify, then it's unwise to own them. The same is true for engineering software. If the suites offer something to you then you're getting a bargain, but if they don't it SHOULD NEVER cost anyone extra.

Message 16 of 78
BMiller63
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:
If you don't use them..so what. If for example next year Autodesk doubles the price for your subscription you can opt out of the ultimate suite and just go back to Inventor only.

Have you confirmed that there won't be a fee imposed for downgrading to Inventor only in the future?

Message 17 of 78
jeanchile

@mcgyvr wrote:

But prices go up..thats life.

My point is that no one is saying by how much.

And I need both IV and ACAD. If I can go back to those two programs later and pay relatively close to the same price I am paying now fine (even with a slight increase fine, we budget for that). No one is saying anything and as usual my reseller won't return my **** calls.

@mcgyvr wrote:

Whats to understand..

How much is to understand. I run a business here, it's MY money I'm spending, not my company's.

Inventor Professional
Message 18 of 78
mcgyvr

Relax... Everyone thinks Autodesk is out to screw them with this decision..I see it as the exact opposite now.

And if things change.. I will adapt when I have all the facts.

According to my VAR Autodesk has no plans at all to raise subscription pricing..So they haven't told anyone if or when pricing will increase.

I'm sure that if they do decide to increase subscription pricing its either not going to be that much of a change or that they will allow you to go back to what you had (or very similar).. I highly doubt this is going to have any serious effect on "your money".

Surely Autodesk knows that there are many of their customers who will not use these programs and as such will not want to pay more for something they don't use. Despite what I say when Inventor crashes..Autodesk ain't stupid.

Sure Autodesk wants to make money.. But they aren't going to do it by screwing their loyal customers and just jack prices up to unreasonable amounts all of a sudden.

I'd be glad to ask my VAR specific questions if you seem to be neglected by yours.. I've got their direct email addresses (right to his iPhone) and he responds almost instantly.

Right now I bet this is what will happen.. You get Ultimate for 1 year without a subscription increase.. Subscription costs will increase by a small percentage next year.. But you will also be given the opportunity to opt out of the Ultimate suites and go right back to having Inventor and Autocad for the same price you are paying now. I really think its just a year or so "look what you could have" teaser with a small increase in subscription fee if you decide you must have these new tools too.

Message 19 of 78
jeanchile

@mcgyvr wrote:

Relax... Everyone thinks Autodesk is out to screw them with this decision.... I highly doubt this is going to have any serious effect on "your money".

So your saying that if I budget my company for a $50/per seat yearly subscription increase and because they've added all this new software (that I may not use) they feel they can raise the price $500/per seat, that it won't have a serious affect on "my money" because your going to pay for it (or my fee to "downgrade")? And if that $450 increase were across 18 seats of software you're going to pay the $8,100?

And please understand that everything that I am saying is purely speculation because no one is telling me anything. And that is my point.

I would be perfectly happy if everything your forecasting comes true, but I don't run a company based off of the speculation of someone on a users forum, I base it off of data (and I honestly mean no disrespect). And I can't seem to obtain any data. I don't think AD is out to screw me as you put it, but I don't feel I should have to "gamble" with my software subscriptions. I am simply looking for some information which you and I don't have. If you have a reseller that performs well I would love to have the name and perhaps I can change to them and obtain answers to the questions I am asking. Thank you for your input.

Inventor Professional
Message 20 of 78
BMiller63

@mcgyvr wrote:

Relax...

mac, I'd be very interested in knowing if your VAR will put in writing (signed by AD) that you will not be charged a downgrade fee if you decide to drop the suite in the future. "In the future" may be defined as next year or within 2 years, or whatever. But will they put it in writing?

It sounds like you're fortunate to have a good VAR and stand in a good place with AD in general. Not all of us are as fortunate, and have indeed been screwed over in the past by AD and the so called VAR, so these things you take on faith cause us to become anything but relaxed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report