Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X,Y and Z cooridinates from a model??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jkarns
1006 Views, 4 Replies

X,Y and Z cooridinates from a model??

Is there anyway to get the XYZ coordinates from a .stp file in Inventor or Autocad? I am using Autodesk Inventor 2014. I have also attached a .stp file, I am trying to get the XYZ coordinates to program our CNC benders. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jkarns

If you don't have a CAM software for generating code for your bender - I think I would simply do a traditional 2D drawing of the model to get the coordinates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
jkarns
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry I should have been more clear about my experiance. I have very little experiance with Autocad or Autodesk Inventor, I am only self taught. Could you give me a few pointers on how to get the XYZ's on a traditional 2D drawing?

Message 4 of 5
Nicolas.Bourquin
in reply to: jkarns

Dear Jkarns,

You could try 2 different ways,

1) the first one (the simpliest) in an 2D idw drawing => generate traditional views => use"generate ordinate dimensions" >> indicate the origin

1stProposition.png                       

2) the second one (a little bit more complicated) is to add work points (and other work feaures) attached to 3D geometry at the positions you would like to know the coordinates and then to follow the instructions at this link to export the coordinates of all the work points in an excel sheet (using a VBA code).

2ndproposition.png

Note: To help during the placement of work features (axis, workplane, points) >> right click on "base 1" >> copy to construction >> all the radius and lines will be automatically generated.

I hope that will help you.

Best regards 

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 5 of 5
jkarns
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

Thanks for the input, the menthod I can do but I program the machine in XYZ coordinates or LRA (Length Rotation Angle). As for exporting the work point to an excel sheet I have followed the instructions and when I run the macro I get a popup screen with a title of UserForm1 which remains blank as it appears to be loading but nothing loads. I am using Windows 8 and Autodesk Inventor 2014.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report