Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workstation and video card to run Inventor 2013 (Is HP-Z820 good?)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hajimeml
1321 Views, 3 Replies

Workstation and video card to run Inventor 2013 (Is HP-Z820 good?)

Hello,

I am buying a workstation to run Inventor 2013 as as other programs.

Anybody has experience with the HP-Z820 workstation? Is it fast and silent?

I am considering the Xeon E5-2687W or the 2690.Which of the following video

card do you recommend? Is the Quadro 6000 overkilled?

• Entry 3D:NVIDIA Quadro 410(available soon),ATI FirePro™ V3900,NVIDIA Quadro 600,ATI FirePro™ V4900
  • Mid-range 3D:NVIDIA Quadro 2000,AMD FirePro™ V5900
  • High-end 3D: NVIDIA Quadro 4000,AMD FirePro™ V7900,NVIDIA Quadro 5000,NVIDIA Quadro 6000,NVIDIA Tesla C2075

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hajimeml
in reply to: hajimeml

By the way, I prefer a very very quiet system.

Message 3 of 4
sam_m
in reply to: hajimeml

have you looked through this forum - LOTS of posts about hardware configs...

you've not said anything about your work-load and how heavily you're expecting to push this system, so how can anyone say whether anything is either suitable or even overkill?  Due to this I wrote the 1st line - not wanting to be rude, but you've not answered questions that usually get asked pretty quickly in any hardware thread.  (note - saying you work with 10k part assemblies might help, but it's really the complexity of each of these parts that matter - a few v complex parts with lots of surfaces can be more taxing that a large assembly, so you need to use some judgement here).

What software are you running?  If it's only Inventor, Windows and things like MS Office then use a GeForce gaming card.  If you're using any other cad software (like Solid Works) then the need for a Quadro comes into play.  Inventor uses a gaming graphical system (DirectX) so a gaming card works well, other software use something called OpenGL which works better with a Quadro/Fire card.  Also, Inventor doesn't use multiple gpu (at the moment) so a Tesla card will just sit there and collect dust... 

Without knowing anything at all about your work I'd be looking at:

fast Ivy Bridge i5 (or the i7 if you do lots of rendering, FEA or Moldflow).

decent gaming mobo

128-256gb sata3 SSD

500gb-1tb mechanical hard disk (optional - probably only needed if you work with a lot of local data) 

GeForce GTX 670

12gb high speed ram

probably need about a 600-700W PSU for that (for long-term use considering capacitor-aging). 

basically a decent gaming system is a good start for an Inventor system... 

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 4
hajimeml
in reply to: sam_m

I plan to run: Inventor, Solidworks, Matlab/Simulink. Perhaps also motion builder and 3Ds Max.

I imported a complex assembly with lots of parts into my MacBook Pro 2010 (i7, 8GB RAM). It went ok but when I tried to rotate the assembly with the best rendering on, the lag was very bad.

I don't have the model on my current computer. I cannot tell the number of parts yet. There are indeed lots of complex small parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report