Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Sheet Metal

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
SeanFarr
873 Views, 16 Replies

Working with Sheet Metal

I have started a new thread for this issue, the part I initially uploaded here was not the correct.

Old post Link http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Sheet-Metal-Door-Inventor-vs-General-Rule-of-Thumb-M...

The part I need/want is attached and those are the correct parameters. In folded state outside dimensions are 2.5"x1.25"x1"    1/8 material.  When I unfold blank size is 45"x4.25"

The issue I am now having is how do I create the the cut-outs, the attached gives me an error when I try and cut the sketched rectangles.

Part background, this part is the top and bottom section of a door frame/jam, there would be 2 other peices, a left and a right with a similar dimensions. The center knotch is to allow the doors to close and latch together. image attached as well for clarification.

Thanks

Note: the linked post contains info that I used to create the sheet metal parts, kfactor and such.

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Lance127
in reply to: SeanFarr

Put the sketch for the cut outs on the face you would like to cut.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 3 of 17
SeanFarr
in reply to: Lance127

please bear with me, I have attached the same part with the sketch in the face I want to cut. After cutting, an error occurs, and the flat pattern is not functioning. because the cut is affecting the bend in those 3 cut

sections?

Thanks

Sean Farr

Message 4 of 17
mrattray

That's not really the best way to build that part. Here's a couple of alternative methods attached. I'm not terribly happy with them myself, maybe somebody will come along and post a better way to do it. At least this should get you moving in the right direciton though.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 17
jletcher

Here Like This Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
Lance127

Sorry, I misunderstood where the cuts woould end. What I said just wont work id the cut is all the way across that bottom flange.

You could follow Mike's example in Test.ipt.

The way we do something like there would be to put a small notch (0.1x0.1) on the initial face where we wanted the cutouts to be, that way when you apply a flange it leaves out the area you do not need. This also makes it so the shop guys don't measure to a bend line, they use the notch that is cut into the sheet metal to line up the press brake.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 7 of 17
jletcher

Or this Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

How did you project that flange up? I tried using project flat pattern in my example, but I kept geting an error about my "legacy unfold rule".

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 17
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Not sure what you are asking I used project flat pattern in sketch mode. I can't open your parts here so I can't see error you are getting. I uninstalled 2013 on test machine could not stand the crap...Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
mrattray

I was asking if there's another button you used, but sounds like you used the same button I was trying to use. It must be a problem on my machine. 

Actually, it works fine on my own parts. It must just be something to do with his styles or something.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 17
jletcher

Oh if you tried it on his part it will not work because his is all messed up. The way he cut the flange is stopping it from working if you delete his cuts it should work for you.

Message 12 of 17
SeanFarr

Thanks guys! from these examples, I should be able to get the part I need.

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 13 of 17
SeanFarr

mrattray: inregards to your message #4

Sorry this is my fault, I forgot to put in opening, that I am using inventor pro 2012. I can't open your files. I would still like to see them, but don't bother if it is a pain.

Thanks

Sean Farr

Message 14 of 17
mrattray

This is the error.

Capture.JPG

This is what I was working on, I had already deleted all of his crap (no offense, OP) and redrew it. I was trying to project that bent piece down to avoid using a linear dimnension like I did.

Capture2.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 17
mrattray

Here's a 2012 version of one of them. The other was similar to jletchers, so I won't redraw it.

By the way, project flat pattern worked for me in 2012. It must be something else they ruined in 2013. 🙂

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 17
jletcher

Try to delete the flat pattern 1st this error is related to that not the project flat pattern option . Also you should use offset for then ends. I hardly use contour flange.

Offset.JPG

Project.JPG

Message 17 of 17
mrattray

I did delete and recreate the flat pattern. Twice.

The one I didn't redraw because it was similar to yours, I drew with offset flanges. I just wanted to give him a couple of different approaches. I think wether or not to use contour flange really has to do with the type of parts that the user typicaly make. You couldn't survive drawing for my shop without contour flange, but I very rarely use flange (I almost never use cut to shape my own exterior profiles). Most of my parts are rolled or simple L or pan shapes.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report