Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work flow to create a blank with additional material?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jeremy_wasserstrass
330 Views, 4 Replies

Work flow to create a blank with additional material?

We have a waterjetand machine shop at my place of employment, and currently my work flow is to draw the parts. Then for parts that need material left for machining I create a new part and using the derive tool I place my base part which I then apply extrusions to fill the holes and use thicken to add material to the surfaces that need machining. Being a self taught user I have to ask is there a better work flow to get blanks that update with my parts in the assembly? Currently we are using 2013.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You can use Delete Face with Heal option to fill holes rather than doing extrusions.

Might look into possible iLogic solutions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I had to set my ribbon back to normal to find the delete face tool, definatly worth it though.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 4 of 5

You could also use the Weldment Feature. You will have one IPT and one IAM file. Pre machining and Post machining can be shown with the IAM. This is helpful for machining after weldments as well. Take a little planning ahead of time, but cleaner.

Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: dlmsdm1

There was a great workflow for this in last years AU2012 using a iPart. This allows for the main part to push out "versions" than have incremental steps to cover ear machining process.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report