Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire going around sheave in different positions

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
KenanP
1033 Views, 10 Replies

Wire going around sheave in different positions

I'm working on constructions that are operated with winches. However, I haven't found a way to model the wire so that it moves as it should.

I've attached a simplifed assembly that illustrates my issue.

In the "Master" position the wire looks as it should.

Position Master.png

However, in the "Up" position, the wire does not. (red line indicates desired wire path)

Position Up - Copy.png

I'm not interested in making the wire slack, just to have straight lines and radiuses around the sheave.

The actual constructions are much more complex, with 15+ sheaves and the wire moving in all three dimensions, not just in one plane as in the attached example. So a simple extrude cut on the assembly would not work.

I need the wire to work in the various set positions ("Master", "Up" & "Halfawy up") on an assebly level, so that it can be shown on drawings.

Optimally I'd love it to work in the "Flexible" position, so that it automatically adjusts (in real-time) as I move the rod, but it's not a requirement.

I've found multiple videos on Youtube showing something similar to what I want to accomplish, but no description of how it's done. Examples:

Inventor Simulation - Pulley and Cable.wmv

Winch - Autodesk Inventor (the wire being spooled onto the winch is not required, but it does look nice)

Help is very appreciated

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KenanP
in reply to: KenanP

Judging from the lack of replies I guess it's not a simple task.

Is it even possible to accomplish in Inventor? So I know to give up trying..

Message 3 of 11
JDMather

@KenanP wrote:

Is it even possible to accomplish in Inventor? ....

It can be done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
cwhetten

What version of Inventor are you using?

Message 5 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: cwhetten

@cwhetten wrote:

I query of the iProperties would seem to indicate 2012 SP2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
KenanP
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

@KenanP wrote:

Is it even possible to accomplish in Inventor? ....

It can be done.

Do you happen to know how?

Message 7 of 11
KenanP

@Anonymous wrote:

@cwhetten wrote:

I query of the iProperties would seem to indicate 2012 SP2.

2012 SP2 is correct.

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

@KenanP wrote:
Do you happen to know how?

Don't have time to explain.
Others have posted solutions to similar problems here in the past.
Perhaps someone will come along and offer solution.

My briefest suggestion would be to look into Parameters and Animate Parameters.

another technique might be to use Dynamic Simulation and trace points, but that is a complex topic.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
cwhetten

The videos you posted were done using animation or simulation features like JD mentioned.  But you asked about positional representations and displaying this on a drawing, so those probably aren't what you are looking for.

I tried your assembly and it doesn't seem to work with positional representations.  The wire part would be required to change for each of the positional reps, and I guess this isn't allowed or supported.  Positional reps are intended to show static parts in multiple positions/locations/orientations.  The only thing that a positional rep keeps track of is assembly constraints.

I think the way to get your positional reps to work and display on a drawing would be to model separate parts for each of the wire lengths.  Place each of these wire parts into the assembly, then use view reps to control which one is visible.

It may be possible to link view reps to positional reps or vice versa, but I don't know how.  But at the very least, you could set your drawing view to a specific positional rep and view rep, and even do overlay views.  If your BOM shows too many wires, just set all but one of them to Reference.

If you need real-time adjustment of the rod and the ability to see the wire update, then try the animate parameters thing that JD mentioned.  Also, you can manually adjust the rod angle and the part will adjust, it just doesn't work with pos. reps.

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 10 of 11
Rodyoyo

It's an old topic I see but I developed a way to link View Reps. to Positional Reps. with use of a parameter named "Position".

If anyone is still interested let me know and I will post my solution here.

Message 11 of 11
KenanP
in reply to: Rodyoyo

@RodyoyoI didn't notice your reply until now, but I'm still interested 😃

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report