Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Wrap on Cylinder

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1153 Views, 6 Replies

Wire Wrap on Cylinder

I'm trying to wrap a heater wire (32AWG .0080") onto a cylinder that is .095" in diameter in a helical pattern.  I'd like the wire to be an actual wire so that I can use the routing and harnessing tool.  I set the offset on the wire tool to .0040" (half the wire diameter), but am unable to place points on the cylinder.  Do I need to create reference points along the entire length of the cylinder to be able to place the 3d points for the wire?

Thanks,

Nic

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Coil a helical surface.

Curve driven pattern of points.

Now create your wire with RS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I don't understand the answer.  How do you pattern the points, and how do you create a helical surface.  When I tried, it didn't show up.

Message 4 of 7
dan_inv09

Like this?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dan_inv09

Dan,

Thanks for that.  I guess my original question is faulty.  A coil won't work because the shape of the points is not neccesarily a perfect helix.  Coil only does a round shape from what I understand, you can't specify a path.  I'm wrapping a set of stacked cylinders.  See attached INV 2010 part for the shape I wish to wrap with work points in a "helical" shape.

How would one do this?

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

3d intersection curve.

BTW - you might install the Service Packs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
dan_inv09

Here's a couple of ideas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report