Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiki Help is no help

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
JDMather
1817 Views, 30 Replies

Wiki Help is no help

Time and again in my class I refer the students to the wikihelp and it just isn't working.

Next year I am going to ask IT to install local help (if available).

Looks like it will be

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=16463987&siteID=123112

No Help.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Shouldn't anything in Blue be a hyperlink? 

I click on Help ? in the Chain Generator dialog box to find a formula.

Tip indicates to go to Engineer's Handbook, but doesn't take me there.

Someone from Autodesk ought to follow me around for a week and see all the (frustrating) stuff my students discover.

I don't have time to submit this stuff.

Tip.png

We would expect this to take us directly where we need to go without a bunch of wading around in the mud.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 31
mrattray

I feel your pain. If I submitted every frustrating bug I encountered I wouldn't get anything done around here.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 31
kskent

Thank you for your feedback. We are experiencing high volumes of traffic on the Wikihelp, which are causing intermittent access issues. We are actively investigating solutions to significantly improve this experience.

Message 5 of 31
mcgyvr
in reply to: kskent

I can't wait till they move Inventor to the "cloud"...Smiley Happy  oh wait... Smiley Sad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 31
BirgitE
in reply to: mcgyvr

This will be the day when we'll be given back the drawing boards.....Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 31
LT.Rusty

@mcgyvr wrote:

I can't wait till they move Inventor to the "cloud"...Smiley Happy  oh wait... Smiley Sad

You have absolutely no idea.  My company is exploring a cloud-ish-based Inventor solution right now.  It's been ... interesting, to say the least.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 31
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

You have absolutely no idea.  My company is exploring a cloud-ish-based Inventor solution right now.  It's been ... interesting, to say the least.

yeah good luck with that. Smiley Tongue 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 31
cbenner

Last year I mentioned, just mentioned Autodesk 360 to my boss and explained the whole cloud push... he was,.... less than receptive to the idea of our data just being "out there".  Secure or not, I don't see us going that route for the foreseeable future.

And, back to the original topic, I've always found wiki help to be a little less than helpful.  Some pages are great, others leave me scratching my head, more confused than when I looked at them.

Message 10 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

Some pages are great, others leave me scratching my head, more confused than when I looked at them.

The whole idea with wiki based help is that we are supposed to be able to edit to make more useful, but if it takes 2 minutes to load a page (ok, 2 minutes or maybe 20 seconds, but feels like 20 minutes, but more often, not at all) I've already moved on to other work.  I have more productive things to do.

Message 11 of 31
LT.Rusty

To be perfectly honest - and a little blunt - the whole idea of the help files being a Wiki, to me, smacks of laziness. After all, why bother to write the software documentation yourself if you can just convince the user base that it's THEIR job to do it?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 31
JDMather

I agree and disagree.

Part of my dissertation years ago (long before there was a term "wiki") referred to the internet as a collaboration laboratory (collaboratory was the term I used).  A large group as a whole can be much smarter than some individual or small group sitting in an office somewhere trying to figure out how to write a help system that everyone will understand.

collaboratory.png

In this case the "researcher" is anyone looking for (help) information.

But the problem is the (unpaid user) experts have little incentive to participate and probably don't even use the Help system with any substantial frequency.  If they do take the initiative to try to help the Help, it should be a painless experience.  Not an exercise in torture that no sane person would subject themselves to more than once a year.

Message 13 of 31
blair

And here I thought, the larger the group, the worse it became. Must be thinking of government then.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 31
swhite

You have no idea what paranoia is. My company puts different letters for sheet sizes in the title block, like "K" for "C" size. The previous owner thought it would make finding things difficult if someone managed to hack in. A file numbering system so complex that without a guide, one cant find anything. Going cloud? Hahahahahah, not in this lifetime 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 15 of 31

Hello

below a link to Ideastation : "Usable online helps"

Vote for it and enrich it by your comment

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Usable-Online-Helps/idi-p/3923752

regards

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous

I'm not a big fan on online help, especially these Wiki's that vary wilding in quality,  so I went to the downloadable help section and started to download the help.  Reading the instructions it states that the offline help is ONLY available when a user is OFFLINE.  So if I'm connected to the internet, which at work is pretty much all the time, I will be unable to use the offline help?  That doesn't make sense to me.  It makes me think that the offline help must just be a copy of the online Wiki?  If so that means users would need to update their offline help file occasionally.

At least Microsoft gives you the option to search the offline help in addition to the online help.  Oh no, I think I've just used Microsoft as an example of how to do something correctly.  That's not good.

Message 17 of 31
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 18 of 31
Ray_Feiler

Server error.PNG

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 19 of 31
Paul-Mason

Or just a good old boot Smiley Very Happy

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 20 of 31
miechh

It's september 2013... Wanted to search the Help-wiki of Vault and therefor I clicked the "Vault Online Help"-shortcut on the start screen of Vault. First thing I was amazed about was that although I set Firefox to be the default internet browser, Microsoft Internet Explorer popped up! But that is another topic. The second thing that amazed me: it took approximately 30 seconds to display the message that the connection had been re-initialized. After four attempts I got my Online Help page.

On april 14th 2013, kskent stated:

"We are experiencing high volumes of traffic on the Wikihelp, which are causing intermittent access issues. We are actively investigating solutions to significantly improve this experience". 

Apperently these issues still exist.

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report