Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why's my "Project Cut Edges command" greyed out (Unavailable)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Forumhelp2012
1691 Views, 6 Replies

Why's my "Project Cut Edges command" greyed out (Unavailable)

Hello

Can anyone tell me why after creating a new sketch I don't have the ability to use "Project Cut Edges" I am following a model from U-Tube called "LED LAMP". Time stamp 1hour 46 mins . I first Isolated the "Handle" I am creating in my assembly. I am creating a sketch on XY Plane. Then slice graphics. So I can Project Cut Edges on to my model. It is greyed out so it is not available. If I open the part file on its own the command is available to use, but not in my assembly.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jletcher
in reply to: Forumhelp2012

The only thing I can think of is you did your sketch in the assembly not in the part edit mode. This one will be hard to help unless I was watching you.

But to my guess you did not dbl click on the part to edit within the assembly but started a sketch in the assembly.

Message 3 of 7

Why is it not possible to Project Cut Edges when the sketch is in an assembly?

Message 4 of 7

@robert.gustavssonCHVCT 

It probably would have been best to start a new thread with a link back to this thread as reference.

What would you do with the sketch at the assembly level rather than the part level within the assembly?

Can you Attach your assembly here?

Do you have a picture of something similar to your design that already exists in the real world?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

I know it is not _physically_ relevant to sketch like that in Assembly mode.

But sketches can be used for many things. For example, today I wanted a sketch of cut edges for export to FEM software. Comparing sections and using them for a new design is another way to use it.

Message 6 of 7

@robert.gustavssonCHVCT 

Derived Component.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

Hi! This is incomplete implementation. I guess the computer was relatively slow and the project cutting the edges across multiple components and keeping the reference could be time-consuming. Here is a similar idea on Inventor Ideas forum. Please vote for it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-project-cut-edges-of-selected-surface-or-solid-...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report