Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why place Content Center inside Vault?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JimStrenk
914 Views, 3 Replies

Why place Content Center inside Vault?

The firm that I currently work for has placed the Content Center inside the Vault.  Is that a good idea?  Why would you place the Content Center inside the Vault and not simply on a shared network drive and then have the computed Content Center parts in the Vault?  Wouldn't there be any bandwidth issue using this Content Center setup?  Is there a better location to place the Vault?

Thank you!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pcrawley
in reply to: JimStrenk

There are several ways to set up Content Center and Vault, and different ways suit different requirements.  You are talking about the Content Center Libraries being managed by Vault.  

If you want control over who has access (in terms of editing tables) then managing them in Vault makes sense.  If you already have a Vault, then the Vault can take care of backing up custom libraries - thereby keeping "everything" related to your CAD data in one nice safe place.  

Putting the library files on a shared network resource is also just as valid, but you don't then have the Vault backup, and you don't have the access control (without duplicating your Vault security as network permissions).  But you do gain... um, actually I'm not sure you gain anything.  I personally wouldn't have ALL the libraries loaded into any project file (just load the custom/appropriate on), so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

So either is a valid solution, but since you already have Vault looking after all of your CAD data, why exclude the libraries?  If bandwidth really is a problem, just exclude some of the unused libraries in your project file.

Peter
Message 3 of 4
Cadmanto

Jim,

We have our vault on a network and that works out fine for us.  I agree and see the points that have been made.

While we are backing up our network, I do see the issue of bandwidth or space.  We only have the parts that have been used in assemblies in vault.  Not sure why the entire CC needs to go into the vault.  Especially when the vast majority of the CC parts will never get used.  I know permissions can be established in both scenarios.  Only thing I can think of is maybe they feel it is more secure and backed up better from the vault then on a network.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 4
mikebelter

Jim:

We do it this way for the simple reason of library file security. That is to say, on a "normal" network location it is too easy to inadvertently move, copy, delete, ... files. Of course you should have a backup of the custom libraries somewhere to mitigate that, but by placing in the Vault the content is shared and more stable and secure.

Thanks,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report