Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Inv 2012.dwg fls show as FUSION file type when highlighted in open dialog

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bharri100
4347 Views, 3 Replies

Why do Inv 2012.dwg fls show as FUSION file type when highlighted in open dialog

I just upgraded to Inventor 2012 from Inv 2010.  I noticed that all of my previously created .dwg files have a different DWG Icon but my main concern is when I go to the open dialogue box to open a .dwg file (it being one that was created in Inventor 2010 or a newly created .dwg from Inventor 2012) when I highlight over the .dwg file I want to open , the information in the OPEN dialogue box indicates the file is a FUSION file type.

Something tells me that something isn't right. I am working with Inventor Professional 2012....NOT Inventor FUSION 2012.  Will this cause problems later on if I am not using FUSION or what?

How do I make the file type in the open dialogue indicate the dwg is really an Inventor .dwg file type?

Could anyone please break this down for me? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PaulMunford
in reply to: bharri100

Fusion use the DWG file type as well. The Autodesk suits have a seperate tool that works in the background that checks your DWG files to see which programe created them so that it can open them with the right programe.

It's likely that betweeen the Autodesk Suite and Windows - the wrong programme has been alocated to DWG's.

However, just starting up AutoCAD and opening a few of these files should get things re-sync'd.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 4
bharri100

I have been using Autocad Inventor 2010 since May of 2009 using Windows XP (32bit) this was Autocad 2010 and Inventor 2010.
I have done many parts, assemblies and drawings in Inventor 2010.
I recently upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 (64bit) and now running Autodesk Inventor 2012 (not the suite) so now I don't have Autocad 2012 on my new machine.
I used the easy transfer cable to transfer all my data from the old computer to the new computer and I am aware that the files I created in the 2010 version of Inventor will have to be migrated over to 2012.
I noticed that all of my Inventor .dwg files that were created with Inventor 2010 and new drawings created with Inventor 2012 had a different file icon, and not the usual Inventor .dwg icon which was used in the previous versions and then I'm thinking something funky is going on here.  Every .dwg file now has this different looking icon and when I hover over the file name in the list of files, it reads "Type: Fusion file".  I still have the file extension of .dwg all the icons show a totally different icon and all the .dwg files are now Fusion file type.
I don't have Autocad on this machine anymore because this Inventor 2012 is not a Suite.
Anyway when I open Inventor 2012, and then open a .dwg file type...it seems that the dwg is still in Inventor but somehow (like you said the program is looking at the wrong template or something is crossed up....(maybe the program has the ICON allocated for Inventor .dwg files to be the Fusion .dwg file type, but the file still opens in Inventor 2012...same as usual) (This confuses me)
My Inventor 2012 came with Inventor Fusion 2012 also.
When I open Inventor Pro 2012, I am using the Inventor Pro 2012 Icon from the desktop to start the program....when I loaded the program from disk, I installed both programs.  I don't remember any questions during installation about the file format to be used for dwgs.
Should I have to remove the program and re-install? If I do that I will have to call Autodesk for a new authorization code or is all that necessary?
I looked in application options and project files but didn't see where to specify which file type was the default for .dwg files.  It is almost like the default file type for opening drawings in Inventor is set to the "Fusion file type" somewhere....I just don't know where or how to change that setting.

I'm kind of stuck here and can't proceed until I have this issue resolved.  Any assistance in figuring this one out will be appreciated.
(maybe the program needs to be sent back and them send me the "Suite" like what I ordered anyway.

Please respond.

Best regards,
bharri100
Message 4 of 4
PaulMunford

Once you open the DWG file in Inventor and save it - Inventor shoud then be seen as the 'owner' of the DWG file and the icon should change.

If this dosn't work - try right clicking in any DWG file and chosing 'Open with' and chose Inventor from the menu - this is a microsoft windows thing...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report