Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White streaks when plotting shaded models

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
m.granata
2131 Views, 31 Replies

White streaks when plotting shaded models

Hi,

I believe this issue started when I upgraded to Inventor Professional 2014.  When I print idw files with shaded models on my HP Designjet 500 plotter I get white streaks in the shaded model.  I never had this issue with the 2013 version of Inventor.  If I export the same idw file to a pdf then print the pdf file there is no streaking and the printed drawing is okay.  Thinking it was a Designjet issue I spent a couple days on HP's discussion group to find a solution but now it looks like a software issue.  Any information to resolve this issue is appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
m.granata
in reply to: m.granata

Hello,

Well I've exhausted this issue on HP's discussion group.  It does not look like a hardware or print driver issue.

1)  It turns out this banding (white streaks) in shaded images printed on my Designjet 500 only occurs when printing idw files from Inventor Professional 2014.

2)  When I print the same drawings in dwf format from Autodesk Design Review 2013 and in pdf format from Adobe Acrobat Professional X the banding (white streaking) does not occur.

3)  The other strange thing is if I print the same idw files to my color laser from Inventor Professional 2014 the banding (white streaking) in the shaded images does not occur.

What is going on between Inventor Professional 2014 and the HP print driver for my DJ 500?  Changing print quality settings in the driver software or the front panel on the printer has no effect.  I have the current driver offered.  My Designjet 500 does not have the HP-GL/2 accessory card so I use the correct PCL3GUI driver HP offers which has never been an issue in the past.

Printing from Adobe Acrobat or Autodesk Design Review is a couple extra steps I shouldn't have to do.  Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Message 22 of 32
m.granata

Really??? Do any Autodesk employees have any thoughts why this is happening?  Or am I the only person that has ever had this issue.

Message 23 of 32
m.granata

Really??? Do any Autodesk employees have any thoughts why this is happening?  Or am I the only person that has ever had this issue.

Message 24 of 32
arkelec

I am having the same issue when printing to Adobe (pdf).

I have two ISO views, 1 @ 1:20, 1@ 1:8. The 1:8 view hase the banding.

I changed the visual style in the 'iam' file from "Shaded with Edges" to "Shaded" or "Realistic" & the image displayed as outline (both on screed & print).

Also, the print is only black & white - none of the colours appear.

Such a pain!!!
Message 25 of 32
blair
in reply to: arkelec

Change the Out-Put Quality in the Options when using the PDF option. It needs to be changed from "Standard" to "High Quality" and the banding will go away. ADSK and ADOBE just don't like each other. Been like this for at least +6 years.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 26 of 32
skyngu

i have same issue on xerox workcentre 7225. there are white streaks on shaded part when I print idw from inventor 2014.

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Message 27 of 32
blair
in reply to: skyngu

I might check for any updates for printer drivers for you unit. Are you printing with PCL or PS printer drivers for your unit as well. Most printers can use either format. It might be as simple as installing the additional drivers and having that as your default printer for your work station.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 28 of 32
skyngu
in reply to: blair

hi,

we are using pcl. so which format is better? pcl or ps?

thanks.

Message 29 of 32
blair

PCL is better but I would try PS and see if the issue resolves. I would also check for any updated drivers for your printer. Also make sure you are current on all Inventor SP's and Updates.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 30 of 32
skyngu

thanks.

I have tried few ways. no luck.

Message 31 of 32
blair

There must be something with the drivers for your Jet printer if they don't appear on the other printer. I haven't had a HP around here for a long time to even look at any settings within the Printer Dialog box.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 32 of 32
skyngu

hi,

our printer is xerox workcentre 7225 pcl6. The IT department is going to look for an answer as well.

thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report