Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White isn't so white any more

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
pball
5999 Views, 9 Replies

White isn't so white any more

I'm probably missing something here, but with Inventor 2013 the color white or snow appear almost the same as the default gray. I'm pretty sure the top part (see pic) was done in 2012 and the bottom one is 2013. Other colors like Black or Turquoise appear just fine.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mflayler2
in reply to: pball

In my opinion Autodesk made the adding of a color to a part a lot more complicated.  The way I have found to get the white brightness you desire is to choose say SNOW and then turn on and adjust the self-illumination. Then you can save it as a favorite.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 10
PhilSaw

I noticed this with our version of 2012;

White = light grey

White (Flat) = white as you would expect

Doesn't have Snow as an option though.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU, Quadro 2000 graphics card, 8G RAM
Message 4 of 10
pball
in reply to: PhilSaw

Unfortunately there isn't a White (flat) in 2013, so that's root of this issue. There isn't a color people would typically call white as a default color (that I've found at least).

Message 5 of 10
Justine.Haupt

Reviving an old topic:

In v2015 there still isn't a material color option that makes a part white.

I would also agree with a previous poster that the new interface for editing material colors is confusing. Something that was easy is now seriously obsfuscated.

I sure miss v2009.

~Justine

Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: Justine.Haupt

@Justine.Haupt wrote:

Reviving an old topic:

In v2015 there still isn't a material color option that makes a part white.

I would also agree with a previous poster that the new interface for editing material colors is confusing. Something that was easy is now seriously obsfuscated.

I sure miss v2009.

~Justine

In Autodesks defense there are more options though now to tailor the colors/reflections,etc.. exactly how you want..

But yes to have that we must do a bit more work.. 

There were many colors/textures,etc.. that we couldn't achieve pre 2013..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

Check the color of the lights in your enviroment, most likely they are a Yellow-Cream color. It's not the color but possibly the lighting that's causing your whites not to be bright.

"starting to sound like an Oxy-Clean commercial"

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 10
Justine.Haupt
in reply to: blair

Thank you mcgyvr and Blair.

It's good that there are more options for tweaking the material appearance, although as a rule I feel that no one thing should ever be harder to do when improving software. Before I could simply select white and now I can't, so UI congestion is what it comes down to.

I feel that associating the types of parameters available in the appearane editor (reflectivity, self illumination, etc) with arbitrary categories (masonry, wall paint, etc.) is silly and it makes it difficult to base a new custom appearance on an old one. Previously, every parameter was accessible from every appearance with some of them unused, but always able to be activated. It took me a while to figure out the new system and now that I have it's exciting (and distracting, haha) to have the new functionality, but it didn't need to be this confusing.

There seems to be a general trend in software development toward the making things appear minimalist and sleek, but it's irritating for users who need to suffer through this phase of software philosophy.

~Justine

Message 9 of 10
ToddPig
in reply to: blair

blair,

Can you elaborate on how to check the color of the lights in your environment?

Thanks,

Todd
Inventor 2018
(23+ years of Solidworks, 5+ years of fighting Inventor)
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache
Message 10 of 10
blair
in reply to: ToddPig

Lighting within the Inventor modeling environment is controlled by the Styles Manager inside the "Manage" tab. Most likely you are using the 2-light, once you open the style you can click on the Light-1 or Light-2 and see the colors in the "Color" box. Clicking on the Color box will bring up the color options.

Capture7.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report