Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using the coil function at certain parameters errors occur

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
16rhermanoff
670 Views, 4 Replies

When using the coil function at certain parameters errors occur

I'm modeling airfoils for CFD analysis and when I try to modify an existing design's specifications, autodesk gives a "The attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result.  Try with different inputs".  This doesn't make sense to me as other models with slightly different parameters work.  I'll quickly mention that coiling different sketches with the same parameters works.  Also, would it make any difference finding airfoil.gif (the file it asks for when opening the .ipt)?    

I'll attach the file.  The coil I'm looking at is coil1 and the paramters are in the coil size tab.  I want to have a model with a pitch of 5 meters and a revolution of 0.25 ul and one with a pitch of 10 meters and a revolution of 0.25 ul.  

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: 16rhermanoff

My first step would be to substantially improve the profiles (missing Tangents) for the Loft (why is it 2 lofts?).

The profiles do not look aesthetically pleasing to me.  In my experience - when it doesn't look right, well....

The profile for the coil is not perpendicular to the helix (Coil) unless you start out with at least a small flat section (currently on Natural).

And, have you installed Service Pack 1 and Update 3 for SP1?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
WHolzwarth
in reply to: 16rhermanoff

Here's an attempt with 5m pitch. It's not perfect, because of some problems in your setup.

1. Sketch3 is built with some radii. Should be better a Spline curve

2. There's a bad spot at the lower side of the airfoil's nose

3. Point allocation of Loft1 was bad. I've cleaned it up a bit

4. Point allocation of Loft2 isn't possible, because of problem 2

With this setup, I could do a coil with the upper half, but not with the complete section. I tried the lower half separately, but no luck, because of kinky contours. Only a surface loft of straight lines was possible.

Well, this loft should be useable as leading sections for another loft from leading edge to trailig edge, with the lower side as rail. But because of problem 2, the rail is too bad.

You'd get further with cleaner sketches.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
16rhermanoff
in reply to: WHolzwarth

You both are life savers! It was due to some issues with the loft rail and the sketch quality. The issues with the leading edge were ignored for a long time and seem to be the biggest problem with the model.

I really appreciate the quick and detailed help!
Message 5 of 5
16rhermanoff
in reply to: JDMather

You both are life savers! It was due to some issues with the loft rail and the sketch quality. The issues with the leading edge were ignored for a long time and seem to be the biggest problem with the model.

I really appreciate the quick and detailed help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report