Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use Bolted Connection

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
James__S
1039 Views, 9 Replies

When to use Bolted Connection

Hi

I am using the Frame Generator to construct steel beams to form a shed.I have questions regarding how best to bolt all the steel together (many assembly files)

1. Is it best to have pre-drilled holes and then use the Bolt Connection to assemble?

2. If the fasteners are saved to the Templates Library does this remain in the model if Inventor is updated to later version....move up from In2013 to In2014?

3. Is there any issues with saving the Bolt,Nut and 2 Washers as a assembly file and insert this assembly when fastening the steel beams together?

4. Is there any issues with using the Rectangle Pattern to place the Bolts,Nuts and Washers....would save me time as well?

Any help appreciated

JS

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

You've asked a whole host of questions that really depend on how you model.

1. Whether you use BC to make the holes and populate them or whether you model the holes and then place fasteners (or still use the BC) is entirely up to you. They both work and are valid workflows.

2. Not sure about this. I suspect Inventor 2014 will see the files and prompt for migration. I think that when upgrading you lose the saved Template Library but this does not affect the BC or individual fastener parts.

3. No issues. You're just making more library files. And they don't auto-adapt when the thickness of the FG embers change. You may need to have multiple Pos Reps made in each Fastener Assy so that you can drive the thickness.

4. No issues with patterning. But it won't incude the holes made by the BC Accelerator.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 10
blair
in reply to: James__S

#2. We only store out template files (IPT, IAM, IDW and ion) files in the template location. Nothing says you can't but it does cause the "new file" menu to be cluttered. It would be a path that would need to be added to your projects file as well. Sack new release in Inventor wants to store it's templates in a new directory based on its year. This means that wou will need to remember to migrate and move your files.
Somewhere there was a discussion on performance and the number of folders and search paths it is more efficient to limit the number of folders in your project file.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10
LT.Rusty

I'm not saying not to use bolted connections, but I will tell you that I rarely - very rarely - use them.  On a personal level, bolted connections annoy me more than just about any other feature of Inventor other than LOD's.    I tend to almost invariably insert the parts from the content center into holes that I've already modeled.  It's a little slower, but - again, this is on a personal level - I don't like the way that bolted connections handle updates.  It bothers me to always see a lightning bolt next to all but one of my bolted connections.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I agree with Rusty as well, since most of my fastners can be patterned, I just insert my fasteners from my library and use the iMate, then Pattern them.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10
James__S

Thank you for opinions.The structure i have formed for this time will not be updated.I placed a Nut,Bolt and Washer from Content Centre and saved as custom.I then created the Nut,Bolt and Washer with correct space as an assembly file.I now just place the NBW assembly where needed for beams created in the f.G...it is a lot quicker then placing individually.....would you see any issues with this technique?

Thanks again

JS

Message 7 of 10
pcrawley

I love bolted connections 🙂

The bolted connection generates an assembly file which is stored in your "Workspace" (or sub-folder) as defined by your project.  The fastener files (nuts, bolts, washers etc) are stored in your Content Centre Files folder (also as defined by your project or Application Options).

When you migrate to a new release, you can either migrate your CC files or not - it's up to you.  (I would migrate everything.)

You can put as many "fasteners" into the connection as you like - so 2 washers under the bolt head, 2 more after the bolted objects, and a few nuts is fine.  the great thing about BC is that you can save the connection design as a "template".  Then, depending on the thickness of the connection, BC will automatically select the appropriate length bolt, but still build the correct combination of washers, holes, and/or nuts according to the template.

So far, my preference for patterned BC's is to create the hole pattern in one of the plates (usually as a sketch and hole centres - not feature patterns).  When you use BC, select "From existing hole" - pick any of the existing holes - and set the template.  It's about 6 clicks.  All the holes in all the other plates are drilled, bolt assemblies inserted - all bolts to the appropriate length too.  Too easy!

Peter
Message 8 of 10
James__S

Thanks Peter

I am going to look into the BC further

If i save a assembly file in Inventor 2013 using BC to assemble steel beams and i then open up in say Inventor 2015 at a later date and save as a 2015 version will it still have all the features created by the BC from Inventor 2013...?

Is there any issues with saving the Bolt,Nut and 2 Washers as a assembly file and insert this assembly when fastening the steel beams together.The thickness of the steel for this particular project will not change.

thanks

Message 9 of 10
LT.Rusty

Biggest issue with using bolt-nut-washer sets in subassemblies is that you'll have a couple extra steps to get them to show up in your BOM as separate parts.  It's nothing earth-shattering, just something to be aware of.  There's also an issue - and you'll have to decide whether it bothers you or not - of the amount of time it takes to insert your subassembly and constrain it.  If you've got a circular bolt pattern on, say, a pipe flange - it'll be okay.  You insert the subassembly once, then you can circular-pattern to fill in the rest.  If you've got a square flange, or if you've got an oddly-shaped flange, you'll have to insert and constrain all your subassemblies one at a time.  Using a bolted connection, or using Insert from Content Center will fill in the rest of the pattern for you automagically.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
James__S
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks........

I will use either the BC or CC for inserting NBW......just trying to find best solution

If i insert the NBW`S with either BC or CC in Inventor 2013 assembly file and then open this assembly file in Inventor 2015 will all those NBW still be inserted?

What would happen if i then saved the file to Inventor 2015....

Thanking you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report