Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When and why to create projects

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
dbsbryce
3522 Views, 12 Replies

When and why to create projects

Hello All,

I'm familiar with Inventor for the most part but I don't understand using projects enough to be able to open up an assembly and it pull up without telling be it can't find a part that is in the assembly. I believe it is because my project path and how all the parts are linked is why my assemblies are is so messed up. Can you explain when to use and how you would organize a project? Right now I use one project for all of my projects. Is this ok or should I use a project for each project.

Such as:

1. Would you create a project 1 and a project 2 if they are two different projects but use some of the same custom parts?
  2. We don't use the content library for all of my purchased parts so would you have a seperate project for that?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: dbsbryce

I personally believe Inventor Project file helps users organize iam files and documentation files (idw and ipn) better. If you only create parts, I don't think you have to use Project file. If your design requires to use a library (CC or custom), it would better if you set a project. Also, if you use EDM system, using project file would be a must.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 13
Cadmanto

If I were you, I would look up project files in the help file to get a good understanding of how they are used.

I know in my walks with Inventor, I have alwys only had one project file in one location and all paths (options and in vault) pointing to it.

This also includes custom parts published to the CC.

But, I know there will be those that swear by one project per job.  That to me becomes too confusing.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

I really can't think of a good reason to ever have more than one project file..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 13
karthur1

We use the single project method.  Having a multiple project files for each "project" is reallly confusing.

1. I would not create a new project if the two projects share a custom part.  You could do that with one project file.

2. No.

Take a look at the project method linked above.  It makes it really simple and you never have to think about it again.

Kirk

Message 6 of 13

Hi jdavisdbs,

The project file's (*.ipj ) primary function is to define the search paths that Inventor uses to resolve file links (it also handles some other configurations as well).

The big question you want to ask is "Will I need to reuse designed components across multiple design projects?"

As a rule of thumb, if none of your design projects ever share common designed parts, then using multiple project files will work well. So for example, if your company designs custom machinery for different clients then it's unlikely that you'll need to share parts across designs. For example if you had a client named Customer A who's design is an electric fish scaler, and another client named Customer B for whom you designed a digital voting machine, then you might  create an *.ipj file called 123-001.ipj, and another *.ipj file called 123-002.ipj, and set one or the other active when working on that particular design.

But if your designs do share common parts that you design, then using a multiple projects might not be the best approach. So you might want a single *.ipj file to reside at the the top of your engineering drive. To illustrate why we'd want to use a single project file, let's look at what would happen if using multiple project files and we want to reuse a component:

Let's say we're working on project 123-001.ipj and we create and design a bracket part named 123-001_BR.ipt and it's stored at N:\123-001\CAD then 6 months later we're working on project 123-002.ipj and we want to use the same bracket in a new assembly called 123-002_GA.iam, but it is stored at N:\123-002\CAD. Because our 123-002.ipj file resides at N:\123-002, Inventor will not find the 123-001_BR.ipt file, because the 123-002.ipj file ensures that Inventor will not search or resolve files outside of it's search path.

So since we know that we want to use files across designs we might be better to create a single *.ipj file named My_Inventor.ipj at the root of the N drive, and then Inventor's "search cone" will include both N:\123-001 and N:\123-002, as well as anything else found in the N drive. If we do use this approach, then we would want to ensure that we don't create duplicate files names such as N:\123-001\CAD\Bracket.ipt and N:\123-002\CAD\Bracket.ipt, as this can cause issues also.

One of the great things about using a single project file for all of your Inventor files, is that you can pretty much "set it and forget it".However, if you decide to use multiple project files, you can generally set up one project file and then just copy and reconfigure it for each new design project that you get, so it's

pretty easy also.

One of the great things about using multiple projects is that once a design project is complete, you can easily archive all of the files for that project, without worrying that you might be impacting an ongoing project.

In either case it really depends on the type of work you do, and how inter-related the projects are.

Here are a few links that should be helpful:

Create read-only templates for a shared server

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-640FF8A9-9EE0-4D89-AB1A-15870B2FFE92

CAD Manager Fundamentals

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-2216330B-1A20-4AEE-B9AD-83506EA2823D

Work Environment

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-4CA37590-9391-4E06-B7EB-B77226E18FB6

Projects

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-DBA8DDC2-BD4A-4B14-9E79-11A3D8BF458E

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 13
howardlee306
in reply to: karthur1

We used to use one master project for all of our jobs ever created. This is was always causing issues with naming conventions, files would randomly loose links to other files, etc. I started using a single project for each job I'm working on. I keep it in the root folder of my jobs inventor file structure. I.e:

Main server

-Job001

-Job002

-Job003

---InventorFiles003

------Project003.ipj

------Assembly003-1 folder

------Assembly003-2 folder

------Assembly003-3 folder

-Job004

------Project004.ipj

------Assembly004-1 folder

------Assembly004-2 folder

------Assembly004-3 folder

..so on and so forth

I set my library paths in the project of Content Centers, textures, library's etc and only parts and assemblies specific to that job go in the job's folder. I've learned I do not need to create a new project from scratch everytime. I set the propeties in the project one time and then copy and paste the project to the new job location and Inventor is smart enough to automatically update the location to the new one. For example to create 004.ipj I copy 003.ipj and rename it once I paste it in the new location. That's it. The only downfall is that if I have 003 open and need to look at 004 I need to start INV by clicking the 004 project icon then using the file-open method. Just clicking on job 004.iam in windows browser might try to open it in 003's enviornment and all hell breaks loose. We have 32 gigs ram so a few INV's running at the same time is not an issue even with 3500 part models.

For parts accross multiple projects they are stored in a separate location on our server and then linked to a library called out in the project.

Since I started doing thi I have no issues with missing files, bad links, not in project errors and the quality of my life has improved

Message 8 of 13
swalton
in reply to: mcgyvr

I use one project file with Vault.

I can see where using several project files would be helpful:

1. If you have to use more than one Vault database. 

2. If you are a consultant and you have to use different template, style library, and content center files for each client.  

3. If you create a set of standard files that do not change.  In this case, I would have a day-to-day project file and a special "edit-the-standard-files" project file.

Use your file structure and possibly your part numbering system to separate your different design tasks, not 47 different project files.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 9 of 13
The_Angry_Elf

In a nut shell a Project file (.ipj) is your "home file", it's a text file that keeps track of all your links and settings such as versions to keep, material libraries, permissions, etc.

Your assemblies are failing because the specified search paths for where the parts are located to build said assembly are not found in those locations.

This could be from someone moving those files into a different folder/directory, etc.

A Project file is set up listing all the required search paths so when you open an assembly, it knows where to look for those parts. Keep in mind, there is no hard data inside an assembly file for the most part, they are simply a set of links to the files that populate that assembly. If the assembly file can't find those parts, it can't populate within the file.

Set up just one Project file, this allows you to access any parts across all client folders you may have, no sense re-inventing the wheel just because it's used in client folder A but you need it in client folder B as well. Does that make sense?

I'd highly suggest using just one main Project file (.ipj) and then create sub-folders for each client (project) just as you typically do for Windows files.

Locating the .ipj directly under the Vault root ($) allows all files to be accessed with ease and makes your search paths that much cleaner.

Locate all your library files under that .ipj as well, allowing access to them for each and every client project.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 10 of 13
pball
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

Hmm seeing as both companies I've worked at use a project file per project I thought that was the norm. I can see the argument of having one project per customer but one project file for everything just feels wrong to me. But of course that's just how I've always done it.

I think there are a few good things about using a single project file per project. At my previous job we would link previous jobs as libraries in new projects. This allowed us to easily reuse a part but you could not edit the part, which could possible break the original project. One engineer didn't seem to always use the correct project file and was constantly breaking old projects because he would change old parts. Though just like most other things there are many ways to do it and one isn't more correct than another.
Message 11 of 13
ampster401

VAR's will usually recommend a single project file.  Depending on how everyone in the group works and is diligent with their files, this will work.

I currently am not in a production environment and provide Adesk software cad support.  There are over 100 Inventor users that contact me with support issues.  What I do is create a Project File for each client so that I can keep their files separate from others.

If I were to go with the single Project File stance, I risk letting Inventor mistakenly determine which file to open if two or more clients send me files with the same name if they were stored under a single folder/directory structure.

Using Project Files is a method to provide control where Inventor should be working out of.  Of course that means who ever is using Inventor needs to pay attention and not save or pull in files from outside of where the Project File states they should be working...people can still ignore those warning msg's and do what ever they please. 

Don't call me if you ignore those warning msg's and then a week later cannot figure out why Inventor is throwing a fit because it can't figure out where the files are!

$0.02

Message 12 of 13
jalger

Hi JDavidAbs,

Good advice all around. (everyone had good points and ideas)

Here is my take on it, It depends on how you (or your company) works.

Both Structures have benefit's and downfalls. (Most of the downfalls on both sides are avoidable)

If you are using Vault your choice is made for you (one project file to control them all, and maaaaybe a project for libraries if you use them)

(also if you plan on moving to the vault for file sharing purposes I highly Recommend going to a Single project file)

If your not using the vault then you need to look at the best fit for what your doing.

Do you make use of the same parts for different clients? Are the shared parts "custom" for each job or truly standard?

If they are standard then you could get away with one project file that links to the central Location to pull out the standard parts. (you could still have file folders Dividing the companies). If the "Standard" parts are simple start points and still have the same name later (sadly I have seen the 18 part 1's...), then its better to have separate Projects so files don't get mixed up.  (really if this is the case you need to solve your part naming Issues first).

Another common thing I have seen is one project per Product (it could be a work cell, new car, mining trolley, conveyor, etc).

If you only have 20 product lines that you work on an maintain its not a bad idea to have separate projects for the Product lines.

On the other hand if you have 3673 (more then 200) Product lines DON'T DO IT your file structure will cause you more problems then its worth.

Also If any of the parts are shared between product lines (same front panel, or frame members) then you may want to consider a single project.

Like I said it depends on how you work, the best thing you can do is sit down with the engineering team and decide how you want the files to be stored.

(This can be tough since everyone has an opinion)

So be mindful don't shoot down the ideas at the start,  just write down the different methods that you currently use then pick the one that makes the most sense.

If you need help with this; many companies offer consulting, or can assist with file re-structuring.

So a quick summary,

Single Project

Pros

- Good for vault

- Good for Sharing Data  (Standard Created Parts, not necessarily CC)

- Never need to shut down your project to open new files 🙂

Cons

- If Part naming is a problem, can pull in the wrong parts (since everything is Shared)

- Can become messy since everything is in one location (file folders Only help so much, think windows explorer)

Muliple Projects

Pros

- Data for one project is contained in that project

- Good for Product line workflows for copying purposes (A moot point once you have Vault and copy design)

Con

- Inventor Project lists Become a nightmare to navigate

-Have to shut down everything to switch your project 😞

I hope this Helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 13 of 13
dbsbryce

Hello All,

Thanks everyone for the detailed input. It was much needed and I amd deeply grateful. I felt a ton of weight just drop off my shoulders. Have a great day.

jdavisdbs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums