Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best way to generate a series of assemblies with one varying part?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
littlemandave
380 Views, 3 Replies

What's the best way to generate a series of assemblies with one varying part?

I have a small assembly, 3 parts. One part is an arm, whose length I want to vary according to a pre-calculated list of 50 possible lengths. Making the arm an iPart is one obvious way to handle this, though the table would be large.

Then I want to make another assembly, consisting of 50 these sub-assemblies, each with a different arm length.

I can, of course, make 50 individual sub-assemblies first, then assemble them into my final assembly, but it would be very laborius, and I'm lazy, and if I want to change that list of lengths later, I'd have to basically start over.

Is there a better way?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: littlemandave

Sounds like a perfect job for iparts/iassemblies.. ipart for your arm.. then create an iassembly and simply edit the iassembly table to swap in the different arms for each member.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
littlemandave
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks, that works OK for a simple test case: I include an iPort in my subassembly (which is an iAssembly), then I can add variants of the subassembly into my main assembly. Still a lot of manual work, but MUCH less than it would be otherwise.

Message 4 of 4

Now I have another issue: I'll do a new post, but in a nutshell:

In the real thing, I'm deriving the 3 parts from sketch blocks in a master layout part (trying to follow a good skeletal modeling workflow). But I can't seem to make an iPart from a derived part. See other post for details.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report