Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welding rods onto a ring

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
becknarr
1084 Views, 9 Replies

Welding rods onto a ring

Does anyone know if it is possible to weld the flat end of a circular rod tangentally to a ring? I have been unable to create the necessary weld within Inventor 2013. I have attached both a photo of what I'm trying to create along with what I've modeled so far in Inventor. You'll see I created some welds on the bottom, which is simple enough with two tangental circular faces. But the welds for the tops ring are being difficult... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
methoni
in reply to: becknarr

What would happen if you were to profile the rod ends to suit the ring, i know that in manufacturing  practice the rod ends would be flat, however

just for the sake of enabling a weld to be shown pictorially then this could be one method. 

Message 3 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: becknarr

Something like this?  (I didn't change the part geometry.)

Weld.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
methoni
in reply to: JDMather

Yes i suppose thats acceptable although it does not really represent the ideal image of a welded joint of that particular type.

Regards

Message 5 of 10
mpatchus
in reply to: methoni

If I were welding this in the shop, I'd add a small chamfer to the top edge of the rod.

If you do this to the rod in Inventor, you can apply a 1/4" Fillet easily.

Weld.PNG

Select the chamfered face and the rod surface, then select the ring surface as shown.

Weld Select.PNG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 10
becknarr
in reply to: methoni

Definitely an option, but I'm CERTAIN there's a way to weld these parts together without too much manipulation... I just have to figure out the right steps. Thanks for the suggestion!
Message 7 of 10
becknarr
in reply to: JDMather

Wow, you make my part look very smooth and fancy. I wish it looked like this in real life! And while this is nice handiwork in Inventor, it's not quite what I'm looking for, as I'd like a truer representation of the part. But I appreciate the suggestion!
Message 8 of 10
becknarr
in reply to: mpatchus

MIKE! This is perfect!!! Not only did you answer my Inventor question, but you gave me some insight to the actual welding process as well. Thank you so much for your help-- I succeeded in implementing these steps in my assembly, and it's beautiful!
Message 9 of 10
rohinipatel2018
in reply to: mpatchus

Awesome, thank you so much! The way you've set it up, the ring is completely suspended so no part of it touches the shell. That's perfect: no problem with heat transfer from the ring to the shell. With a bit of spatter protection on the shell, there should be no danger of burn marks. For more information about Welding Rods  visit our website. 

Message 10 of 10
pkfridges
in reply to: rohinipatel2018

Normally I would be sceptical of some of these standards for welding.
But in this case I am not. Particular care should always be used for dump trailers where a bad weld can have tragic consequences.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report