Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird behavior with content center part when changing size

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
pball
443 Views, 10 Replies

Weird behavior with content center part when changing size

A coworker brought this to my attention and I was also immediately able to reproduce this. We use content center C channels and other common beams a lot. After inserting one into an assembly if you right click and select change size and edit the length it typically doesn't update to the correct length.

Example:

Insert a 10" Ansi MC/C channel any size

right click and select change size

add +.0625 to the existing length and hit apply

measure it at 10.06252 in

repeat change size and type in 10.0625

measure it at 10.0625

repeat change size and type in 10 + .0625

and measure at 10.06252 in

It seems to mess up more when you do math but it also screws up entering a simple number

10.000325 usually ends up as 10.000315 in for me.

Does this happen for anyone else?

P.S.

Editing the part directly from it's parameter dialog doesn't yield anything like this.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: pball

I'm able to reproduce this as well.  The issue seems to occur using fractional amounts with more decimals to compute.  For example, adding 10+.5 works just fine.  10.5+.03125 gives me 10.53126.  Not off by much, but why would it be off at all?

AutoCAD 2013; AuoCAD Electrical 2013; IV 2013 Professional: Tube and Pipe, Frame Generator; Vault Professional 2013
Win 7 x64, Dell Precision PWS690, GeForce GTX580

Message 3 of 11
ampster401

ditto with Inventor 2011

Message 4 of 11
pball
in reply to: ampster401

Thanks for trying this out. I guess I'll go file a formal bug report since they get looked at more than the forums.

Message 5 of 11
ampster401

common mistake among people here,

These forums are not for discussing with or contacting Autodesk about any issues with the software.  Autodesk provided these forums for end users like you and I to converse and solve problems.

Message 6 of 11
pball
in reply to: ampster401

I realize that. I was purposely asking others if they experienced the same issue as some times a few computers at the same work place isn't really a good sample size. If others had the problem I'd move on to filing a bug report, which I have.

Message 7 of 11
LT.Rusty

I get it simply by entering a length of, say, 10.5625.  It comes out almost invariably as 10.56252.  No math involved in that one.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
BLHDrafting

Frame Generator is great, but it has bugs. You are better off deleting the FG member and replacing it rather than changing it. I have been caught out numerous times because doing a change can leave the previous members part number in the iProperty, thereby stuffing up the BOM. Again, DELETE rather than CHANGE.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 9 of 11
pball
in reply to: BLHDrafting

I'm not even using the Frame Generator, just inserting content center parts. Also wouldn't double checking iprops be a smart thing to do any time you update a part?

Also would you rather delete a channel with 20 or so contraints and redo all of that or just edit the length and check the iprops afterwards?

Message 10 of 11
BLHDrafting

Sorry, jumped the gun a bit there! I hardly ever place from CC. Frames are my thing where I delete and replace.

I think changing the iProperties can lead to errors. It's manual work that you must remember to do but is often forgotten. I prefer to use the intelligence in the software. It's much better with numbers than I am. The constraits depend on how you have done them in the first place.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 11 of 11
4donwan4

This issue has been reported to development.

Regards,

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report