Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Request... Helping Students... Helping Faculty

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jeanchile
425 Views, 15 Replies

Weird Request... Helping Students... Helping Faculty

Hello all,

I have an odd request and I feel I should give a little background first. I serve as the chairman of a Program Advisory Committee at two local universities. My role is to be a representative of "industry" in the creation and maintenance of the engineering curriculum (i.e. I tell the school what we, as future employers of their students, want them to be teaching the young minds enrolled in the various engineering programs).

One if the programs I have been overseeing has been performing remarkably well and I have been asked to give a presentation to the highest leadership at the school (provost, board, deans, etc.). My presentation is going to be about the fundamental change I spearheaded in their curriculum. Summed up in six words, it was this: Engineering Technology is becoming Engineering Science. As an example, my company used to employ 26 people who did nothing but drawings for the engineering staff. Now we employ no one who does just that. Their roles have shifted to become much more involved in the design process. To put it the way one of the other committee members did recently: "Stop sending me redliners and send me people who can think".

What I am humbly asking of the good people on this forum is for help with presentation content. I have little time to prepare and submit the presentation (powerpoint) materials and I am looking for something specific. Does anyone have an animation that shows the different design steps of a product? I'm hoping to get something that shows some of the basic steps of the design process and the software tools "performing" those steps. For example: conception, preliminary design, collaboration, modeling, validation, 2D output, blah, blah, blah. I haven't the time to create something like this by Thursday and was hoping someone here could upload something they've used like that in the past. Ideally, a 20 second clip of stuff going from sketchbook to Inventor to Analysis to Drawings would work great.

Anybody have something like that? Or maybe collectively we can all put different video components together that would show it? It certainly doesn't have to be the same product in each step I guess.

I know this exceeds the purpose of this forum but the stuff I've seen over the years here certainly proves a lot of the regulars here might have something that could help. It just might help us all if we can start getting these kids out of school with a little more "real" knowledge and a little less "button-pushing" knowledge.
Inventor Professional
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mcgyvr
in reply to: jeanchile

A quick google search for "product design process" yields TONS of spreadsheets/flowcharts,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 16
Cadmanto

Jean,

I don't know if this answers your question, but if you go to the Autodesk University Website , there you will find the courses that were offered.  In some of those courses you might find some interesting material to help you on this quest.

Hope this helps you.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 16
jeanchile

Thank you both for your help but I have all the static content I need. What I am looking for is an animation of the software being used in the design process.
Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 16
Cadmanto

So what you are looking for is actual animations that were created by the software itself?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 16
jeanchile

Yeah, something that would show the software in "animated screenshots" as a product was being sketched out, modeled up, analysed in stress analysis, made pretty in Showcase, etc. so I can show these people, who know little to nothing about the technology used in product development, what happens nowadays.

You know who would probably have something like this is Autodesk but I can't seem to find something that I can save and reuse. And, although it would be fun to put one together myself, I don't have the time by Wednesday afternoon. I thought maybe someone here might be able to share something. I can make do without it, I just thought it would be easier to show them via video in 20 seconds rather than another means. My presentation is only supposed to be 10 minutes so I won't have a lot of time.

Thanks for the help!
Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 16
Cadmanto

I don't know if this is an option, but have you considered youtube?  There are a ton of these types of videos on there.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 16
jeanchile
in reply to: Cadmanto

I have Scott, thank you. And this video here would be a good representation of what I am hoping to obtain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTpIztpXgs0

I just need to be able to download it, kill the audio, edit/cut it down to 20-30 seconds, and restructure some parts. Perhaps I am missing something but I'm not sure how I can even download it from youtube, let alone kill the audio and then cut it up in Movie Maker (we don't have access to Avid/FCP). I am ssuming because of the many copyright protections I would need to look elsewhere.

Inventor Professional
Message 9 of 16
Cadmanto

See if this link helps you to at least get started.  Once you get this done, if you have a video editor you might be able to accomplish the rest of what you need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5OQK0O_MjE

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 16
jeanchile
in reply to: Cadmanto

Okay thanks... but maybe this is a stupid quesiton here... is this legal to do? I certainly don't need to break any laws for this presentation. I would simply do without.

Inventor Professional
Message 11 of 16

Hi jeanchile,

You might contact Thom Tremblay of Autodesk as well as one of the GrabCAD.com people for permission to use some of this material.

https://grabcad.com/challenges/autodesk-robot-gripper-arm-design-challenge

https://grabcad.com/challenges/autodesk-robot-gripper-arm-design-challenge/results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtEg--Xw8_w

A 4 minute mp4 video without sound can be found here, along with slides of the requirements and results:

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/competitions/specs/154/original.zip?1378459260

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 12 of 16
chad38

I have videos similar to what you are asking, though they were done with solid edge. Shows the modeling technique I used to create adjustable ductwork assemblies that can be resized from the top level being driven by the variable table. However, I made it for a presentation at my last job to teach them my modeling process, and it's been sped up and has a music overlay.

You should look into adobe premeir. It can edit video, can speed it up, and can overlay a soundtrack or edit the existing one. I useed the trial version for the videos I created, worked pretty good but put a watermark across the video.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 13 of 16
mrattray

Have you looked on the chronicle website?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 16
jeanchile
in reply to: chad38

Thank you Curtis, as you suggested I have put out some feelers in the software industry to see if someone has something I can get my hands on.

Thank you chad38. I'm not in the market for a video editing software package. We get by with most of what we need using Movie Maker anyway. And thanks for the offer on the video. At this point, we have a bunch of videos like the one you are describing. I was hoping to find one like the AD one I linked to that showed Sketchbook, Inventor, Showcase, etc. and their use in a product development workflow.

Mike, I'm unfamiliar with the "chronicle" website you speak of. A quick search yielded nothing that looked to provide the type of video I am looking for. Can you elaborate?

Inventor Professional
Message 15 of 16
mrattray

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 16
jeanchile
in reply to: mrattray

Ahhhh.... there we go. That looks like a pretty cool resource that I didn't even know existed. And, if I had time, it looks like I could use that to capture some of the stuff I'm looking for and put it together exactly the way I want. I am certainly going to look further into that. Unfortunately, there are three issues:

1.) The site appears to have a bug and when I search for Inventor, Showcase, etc. I get a list of say 33 results and the page is showing 1-15. When I click the next page it clears my search and shows me all 1,115 videos. So I can only really see the first 15 results.

2.) I still don't see a way to download other users videos that I would like to try and use (seems likely that I wouldn't be able to).

3.) I don't have the time to prepare what I am looking for and get the presentation finished and submitted by late today.

Do you know if I download and install the "recorder" if that will have functionality to download other user's content? It certainly wouldn't seem that way from the name but maybe? It would be a really cool resource if it worked properly and was employed by a lot more users.

Thank you all for the responses. Although I was unsuccessful in obtaining the thing I was looking for I have certainly learned a bunch with this thread. And it looks like with chronicle I have what I need the next time this comes up.

Thanks again!

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report