Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning if saving as .STL file in INV 2011..

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
34mark713
275 Views, 5 Replies

Warning if saving as .STL file in INV 2011..

Hi,

Just thought I'd pass this on so someone else will not make the same mistake.  We modeled parts in inches.  We save as copy to an .STL file to get SLA prototypes made.  The parts came back 2.54 times bigger than needed.  Reason is the default setting for saving as .STL files is Centimeters....  Not sure why Autodesk did this....but yes I understand it's not their fault, we should have checked under options and changed it to inches.....we just assumed that you model in inches, it would save as in inches....See what happens when you assume....

Any ways...hopefully I have save someone some time and money....

Thanks,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: 34mark713

Units to Change

Just in case people were wondering where this option is...

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 3 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

yep autodesk broke this a little while back and frankly should get stuck with the bill for the scrapped parts anytime this happens.

It applies to 2012 also and probably 2013 too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 6
34mark713

LOL...sounds great!!   Tell me where to send the bill....

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

Since this bill will likely go unpaid - you can at least use this issue for justifying your work time spent here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3A7...

The user community can save you a lot of money and headaches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The user community can save you a lot of money and headaches.

Except you obviously need to know about it and unless you read every post on this board you have no way of knowing all the little issues/bugs related to Inventor..

Thats why is a shame that simple bugs like this can be carried over from release to release and nothing is done about it year after year. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report