Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIndows NT4 with IV6

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mcreeder
176 Views, 14 Replies

WIndows NT4 with IV6

Is anyone running NT4 with IV6 with any success? If so have you found any limitations in doing this over using say windows 2000?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mcreeder

yup. we're still on nt4. works great. however, we'll be upgrading to xp pro
in the next few months.

--
Mark A. Bystry
Engineer
Ziggity Systems, Inc.
mbystry@ziggity.com
Message 3 of 15
mcreeder

Ok, just i have been having a few little bugs with that system and my CAD support people think it down to the old OS. Why have you decided to change to XP if NT works so well thou?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

because microsoft is officially discontinuing the software this june.
besides, nt doesn't support usb connections...among other bells and
whistles.

--
Mark A. Bystry
Engineer
Ziggity Systems, Inc.
mbystry@ziggity.com
Message 5 of 15
mcreeder

Are Microsoft discontinuing Office 97 at the same time? I am finding that with each version of Inventor there are more and more things that are not supported by NT and Office 97, but trying to get the bean counters to spend money on the upgrades is not so simple
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

i have no idea. i'd chuck office 97 and at least get office 2000. they have
a new vba version...but maybe you don't care about that.

you know, you can get a new pc with all of that stuff pre-loaded pretty
cheaply these days. i'd look into that.

i'm runniong an older older operating system but i try my best to have the
latest software when it's necessary.

--
Mark A. Bystry
Engineer
Ziggity Systems, Inc.
mbystry@ziggity.com
Message 7 of 15
mcreeder

Well i know that using office 97 put limitations on Inventor and i have found big problems with exporting BoM's. Unfortunately the company wont upgrade 5 PC's without upgrading the whole company due to compatability and so they wont upgrade to 2000 as for most people its not worth the expenditure. I have even tried the argument that office 2000 can be set to save in 97 format at default but they aint interested. I was just thinking if Office 97 was on its way out as well, i might have more of an arguement.
Message 8 of 15
MechMan_

When are companies going to realize that Engineering has a totally different set of needs than other departments. If they want fast product design turnaround then they are going to have to give you the tools to accomplish those goals. I see so many company owners/managers with the attitude of "this system is fast enough for me so it should be fast enough for you". Of course they're only running Office apps and not doing any serious number crunching or loading lots of data.

I just wish they would open their eyes and understand.

MechMan
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

What limitations does Office 97 put on IV?
I'm running IV6SP2 together with Office97 and don't like to upgrade the
Office as long as it works fine.

--
Regards,
---
Leo Laimer
Bad Ischl - Austria
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

...funny that you mentioned this. i just turnned in a memo explaning the
differences between the pc's in engineering and the pc's that our
receptionists use. unless you have an engineer for a manager with a lot of
clout ($$$) or an IT department that understands engineering technology, it
will always remain an up hill battle. i'm right in the middle of
"negotiating" for 2 new workstations. sometimes i wish there was a
subscription service through major pc companies. every 6 months when i get a
new release of inventor, i get a new pc too...what a world that would be...
--
Mark A. Bystry
Engineer
Ziggity Systems, Inc.
mbystry@ziggity.com
Message 11 of 15
rllthomas

Oddly enough it was easier when you spec'd in a UNIX workstation for $30,000 with $30,000 worth of software. Once you call it a PC then the "know-it-alls" start kicking in and making assumptions.
Message 12 of 15
mcreeder

The big limitation i have found with office 97 is that you cant export a Bill of Material to Access for Excel due to a lack of a new version of the DAO jet/DB engine that comes with Office 2000 and newer. Unfortunately the finance department runs this company, so there is little to no chance of getting even a sensible upgrade until it effects them.
Message 13 of 15
mcreeder

I am actually hoping that with IV7 that they take Office 97 off the minimum requirements list as it is only just compatable at the moment. I would think that if MS stop making and supporting it then that might be the end for 97 with Inventor
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Seems to work fine for me?? Personally I would prefer not to be forced to dish out more
money to just be able to continue to make iParts and add threads. If there is something
in supporting 97 that holds back development in Inventor then I would agree, but I have
never heard anything like that.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"mcreeder" wrote in message
news:f14c72d.11@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I am actually hoping that with IV7 that they take Office 97 off the minimum requirements
list as it is only just compatable at the moment.
Message 15 of 15
mcreeder

I can see why Office 97 is still on the minimum requrements list as you can use it with IV, ie, it uses font files like the Tahoma font from excel, but when you come to actually involve office application with IV, such as the BoM export then Office 97 is not IV compatable. So is it or isnt it compatable?? Answer yes and no.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report