Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Issues

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bret.n.emry
548 Views, 9 Replies

Vault Issues

We are currently using Inventor 2009 (2 seats "Suite", and 2 seats "Simulation Suite") and have a couple issues using the Database Management System:

Once in a while, when we have an assembly or drawing checked out from the vault, we cannot get it to check back in keeping the changes we made. It will give errors like "username has checked in a later version of this file...something about changes not being allowed..." and I cannot check in what I have even though I just want to overwrite whatever's in the vault. Oftentimes, the user is myself! We call this "getting into the loop", where we cannot save the file (because it wants me to do a Save As...) and we can't check it in (because it's not saved). Is there a way around this? Are we doing something wrong?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Sounds like your workflow (the process you use to check parts in and out of the Vault) are wrong.

I see this a lot, typically new users of Vault (or any other PDM type system). They will read the file out to their local, make changes and then try to check it back into Vault.

The obvious workflow is of course (you sign in to Vault from within the Inventor application), check the file out from within Inventor doing a "open\check out", do your changes, save and then check the file back into Vault from within Inventor....done deal.

Not saying that's the only reason or cause for what you are seeing but it's what I see on a regular basis.

It also sounds like the file was checked out under a different user name and checked the file in with changes that are newer than the changes you've made on your local version? This tells me you didn't have the file checked out when you made your changes, or you made your changes to an older, local copy and you are now attempting to over write a newer file in vault with your older local version.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 10

Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I'll walk you through one example of what we're experiencing that might help explain our problem (not always typical, but what happened today):

1) Open & Check Out drawing from Vault (from within Inventor)

2) O/CO ipn from drawing

3) O/CO assembly either from ipn or idw

4) Add parts to assembly

5) Attempt to save or check in assembly (to no avail); got the error "[other user] has saved a later version..."

6) Checked out all parts in the assy to try saving and checking everything back in; this is when I got the error "[myself] has saved a later version..."

So at this point, could not save and could not check in. Our current solution is to undo checkout and try a different way. Is there something incorrect in this workflow?

Message 4 of 10
scottmoyse
in reply to: bret.n.emry

Check your Vault folder mappings.

Vault Map Folders.png

Maybe the file is being checked out to the wrong location, then the client/server is getting confused. 

Also when the file has been checked out, go and check the properties of the file via the client, see if the checked out by property value matches the user account you have used within the CAD application

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 10

Bret,

Thanks for the added info. In addition to what Scott posted, is it possible any of these files were already checked out or are currently checked out prior to you checking them out? Do you happen to have multiple Vault ID's? I'm thinking that maybe, for whatever reason you may have a file checked out under your general user name and then you are attempting to check the files in under say your "admin" user acct? I've seen this before as well.

As far as your workflow, honestly it's basically backwards from how I typically work, but that's just me. Here's what I typically do when working/updating an assembly or even a single part file:

1.) Open/Checkout the Assembly/Part file

1.a) I also may check out the drawing file along with assembly/parts files by doing a "Check out all"

2.) Open the Assembly/Part file only, make additions/changes

3.) Save the changes

4.) Open the drawing file (this then of course updates the drawing file with all the applicable changes to the Assy/Part file)

5.) Save the drawing

6.) Check the drawing file back into Vault (this in turn checks all the associated files back into Vault as well)

Not sure if that workflow will help your issues though. It sounds like there's some other issue going on. The first thing I'd do is open Vault Explorer and search the file, and see who, if anyone has the file checked out or not. Of course that'll also give you all the other possible info you may need like when it was last checked in, who did it, etc.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 6 of 10

We have this issue when the user has the file checked out at another workstation.  To help with this, I have the "Checked Out Machine" column displayed in the Vault.

Can't recall if this column is available in Vault 2009.

Message 7 of 10

Thank you bstewart,

The "Checked out Machine" field is available in 2009 and we will be monitoring that. Unfortunatley this problem doesn't happen all the time which makes it a little more difficult to troubleshoot.

I have tried the other possible solutions mentioned here (workflow, multiple vault IDs, folder mapping, etc.) and nothing has presented itself as the solution to the problem we're facing. Is there any other info I can give that might be of assistance in troubleshooting?

Message 8 of 10

Bret,

Do you work with one general Project file (.ipj) or do you have it set up for multiple Project Files?

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 9 of 10

We work with only one project file.

Once in a while, I get this errror: "working copy of (project file).ipj is NEWER than the latest version in the vault. Do you want to replace it with the latest version?"

Does that sound like it's related?

Message 10 of 10

That sounds like someone checked the .ipj out at some point.
Do what I do and have the CAD Admin check the .ipj file out to himself and keep it checked out. That protects it from other users checking it out by accident and having this error come up.

Users can always do a "get/checkout" on the .ipj file and thus update the local version of it, they just can't accidentally modify or worse, delete it.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report