Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
-ianf-
Message 1 of 12 (741 Views)

Using ilogic to fill out Iproperties

741 Views, 11 Replies
01-30-2012 06:18 AM

So, I'm new to ilogic. My goal is to use basic ilogic to fill in some of the standard iproperty fields from parameters.

I have so far managed to populate the description iproperty with one value from the parameters using this ilogic code;

iProperties.Value("Project","Description") = length

where length is a user parameter.

Want I would like to do is build on this to include more parameters such as material thickness, width and depth etc so the resulting iproperty description field would read something like

1.2mm SS 50x100 @3000

How do I go about writing the ilogic string to include multiple values and end up filling in the one description field?

Thanks.

Ian Farmery
Inventor 2010 Pro SP4, Vault Collaboration 2010
HP Z820 Xeon E5-2643 0 @ 3.3Ghz 16.0GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 5000
Distinguished Contributor
Breeze104
Message 2 of 12 (738 Views)

Re: Using ilogic to fill out Iproperties

01-30-2012 06:44 AM in reply to: -ianf-

To answer your question...if I understand it

All you should have to do is add the lines of code (like the one you already have) you want to the begining of your rule. And then start you rule definitions.  Something like this....

iProperties.Value("Project", "Project") = HopperType
iProperties.Material = "Steel, Mild"
InventorVb.DocumentUpdate(True)
iProperties.PartColor = "Red (Flat)"

I would like to add the question... How do you get the "Project" field filled, since there is no iProperties snippet for that.  I was able to get it done when I only had 1 rule but as I added rules (using the same bit of code) it doesn't follow through.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 12 (731 Views)

01-30-2012 07:08 AM in reply to: -ianf-

How do I go about writing the ilogic string to include multiple values and end up filling in the one description field?

Thanks.

This works for me.. Just an example but it prompts for description and title then combines those 2 to fill out the revision..

pDescription = InputBox("Enter value for 'Description'", "Description",iProperties.Value("Project", "Description"))
If pDescription = Nothing Then Exit Sub
iProperties.Value("Project", "Description") = pDescription

pTitle = InputBox("Enter value for 'Title'", "Title",iProperties.Value("Summary", "Title"))
If pTitle = Nothing Then Exit Sub
iProperties.Value("Summary", "Title") = pTitle

iProperties.Value("Project", "Revision Number") = pTitle & PDescription

iLogicVb.UpdateWhenDone = True

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 4 of 12 (711 Views)

01-30-2012 07:50 AM in reply to: -ianf-

Hi -ianf-,

In addition to the example provided by mcgyvr, here is another that used strings enclosed in " "  to include further descriptions and characters. In this example the dimension d1 and d0 are written to custom iProperties, and then those custom iProperties are written to named variables with in the rule, and then finally the named variables are combined and written to the description iProperty, for a result such as 55 x 30 Plate

iProperties.Value("Custom", "Length") = d0
iProperties.Value("Custom", "Width") = d1
oLength = iProperties.Value("Custom", "Length") 
oWidth = iProperties.Value("Custom", "Width")
iProperties.Value("Project", "Description") = oLength & " x " & oWidth & " Plate"

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Active Contributor
-ianf-
Message 5 of 12 (687 Views)

01-31-2012 07:02 AM in reply to: -ianf-

Thank you all.

I have acheived exactly whet I wanted.

Ian Farmery
Inventor 2010 Pro SP4, Vault Collaboration 2010
HP Z820 Xeon E5-2643 0 @ 3.3Ghz 16.0GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 5000
Breeze104
Message 6 of 12 (675 Views)

01-31-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: -ianf-

Which one did u use?  Can u show some of the code?  I am interested in how u solved the problem....as I am new and still learning as well.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 12 (664 Views)

01-31-2012 11:58 AM in reply to: Breeze104

Breeze104 wrote:

Which one did u use?  Can u show some of the code?  I am interested in how u solved the problem....as I am new and still learning as well.

The basic code is all right here you just need to decide which properties you want and how you want them combined.. My example shows simply joining a few iproperties and Curtis showed how to extend that more to include custom properties and just regular text like plate

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 64 bit

Breeze104
Message 8 of 12 (660 Views)

01-31-2012 12:10 PM in reply to: -ianf-

and what about the "Project" field..... It doesn't have an iProp snippet to be able to add info so it shows up in the "Projects" iProp box.

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 9 of 12 (649 Views)

01-31-2012 12:53 PM in reply to: Breeze104

Hi Breeze104,

I might not be understanding your question, but it appears that the example you provided in your first post contains the answer you're after concerning the Project field.

For instance in this snippet, in the first line I'm hardcoding the variable HopperType to be "Big Green Hopper"

In the second line that variable is being written to the iProperty.

Is this not working?

HopperType = "Big Green Hopper"
iProperties.Value("Project", "Project") = HopperType

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 10 of 12 (644 Views)

01-31-2012 01:07 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I think he (and I now) are asking why "project" and many other iproperties fields are not listed in the iproperties section in the snippit window (system tab) of the edit rule dialog. see attached

Windows 7 64 bit

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube