Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Parameters to Control Pattern Features

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1481 Views, 8 Replies

Using Parameters to Control Pattern Features

I have a very simple mock up of a louver that we purchases through Dayus here:

This is jsut for a visual reference and for qty's and BOM use.

I have entered in all the available sizes and have the outer frame of the louver adjusting nicely.

Now where I am running into trouble is setting up the louvers and the louver spacing. I have been playing around with the parameters for awhile now and I just can't wrap my head around some things.

Example one:

in the picture below,

HEIGHT is selected on 18 in

I have created an user parameter called LOUVER_QTY which is set to subtract 1.6 in off HEIGHT = 16.4, then I divide that by 2.05 and the result is supposed to equal 8 but it is showing 3.149606. But when I assign LOUVER = LOUVER_QTY it is showing 8

parameters4.png

For the most part this file works fine, but when the Height is changed to 56 in, the last bottom louver runs through the bottom of the frame.

I know that I have to change the spacing from a direct input (2.05) to a equation based on height to fix the spacing, but I can't grasp how these parameters are working, why are they red(errors)

Also I don't know how to set up the parameters to set the correct number of occurrences in the rectangular pattern to control the amount of louvers. Something related to to the spacing of the pattern and the selected height.

Any ideas or directions would be great.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: Anonymous

In the user Parameters your LOUVER_QTY is set as "in" and it should be UL..

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jletcher

Ok so that cleared up the red text(errors), after playing with this some more, I have realized this a bit trickier that I initially thought.

We only have one size in stock right now, so I can't verify, but I am guessing that the louver spacing is not the same as it jumps from height to height. So my next question, is it possible to assign/create parameter values using a min / max

Example, current spacing is ~ 2.123", if I set a min of 2.000" and a max of 2.250", can I get my LOUVER parameter to add or subtract an occurrence (rectangular pattern feature) .

So once the height changes from 18" to 32". the louver spacing will change, because this change is greater than the max of 2.25 it will continue to add a louver until it is in the range?

This makes sense in my head, but I don't know if it is doable in Inventor.

Thanks!

edit- the reason I think I need a dynamic parameter for the spacing of the louvers is because I will end up with a gap like this for most of the size. It just stands out on a drawing or rendering...

louver.png

Message 4 of 9
jletcher

Yes you can do what you are asking, I tried to find example for you but no luck I am not at my office with all my samples thought I might have one on drive but I do not. If you don't get answers by morning I will upload sample for you..

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jletcher

ok perfect, no rush or deadline for this, whenever you get a chance would be great!

Thanks!!

Message 6 of 9
mrattray

I would use iLogic for this.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

I am open to all solutions, any references or examples Mike?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
PaulMunford

Yes - there is a min max function in inventor.
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0733-Design_O733/Functions,_pref...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 9 of 9
jletcher

Sean in a meeting have a short break just want you to know I have not forgot you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report