Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Inventor with Siemens Teamcenter.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
KobusE
4154 Views, 8 Replies

Using Inventor with Siemens Teamcenter.

Our company has standardised on Inventor and NX, and using Teamcenter as a drawing management system instead of Vault.  Is there anyone that has experience in using Teamcenter together with Inventor?  Any advice on implementing this?

Regards

Kobus

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: KobusE

from what i heard this doesn't work out of the box

you have to spend a lot of money customizing team center to work with Inventor correctly

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Ray_Feiler

My company is having the same thought. Here is what I have found so far.

"http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/teamcenter/rapid-start/index.shtml#lightview-cl...

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 9
tmoney2007
in reply to: DarrenP

I would be surprised if that was the case. What I found when looking at using Agile PLM as a PDM system is that there aren't that many companies big enough to make good use of a PLM like TeamCenter. The result is that the connector for Inventor probably exists and is functional but may not be as polished as the connectors for other cad packages that are used by more large companies.

The solution that we were presented wasn't that expensive and they would've been more than happy to both add features for a reasonable price or work with you to improve the Inventor Connector to be at the same level as the integrations for other CAD packages.

I will tell you this: if you get into your head that you might want to use vault and then integrate vault with a PLM... DON'T DO IT!!! If you want to talk about my company's experience trying to integrate Vault with Agile, you can PM me and we can talk about it.

Whatever pain and expense that you go through getting your files managed directly in your PLM will turn out to be worth it.

Message 5 of 9
tmoney2007
in reply to: tmoney2007

What I meant to say:
"What I found when looking at using Agile PLM as a PDM system is that there aren't that many companies big enough to make good use of a PLM like TeamCenter that also use Inventor"
Message 6 of 9
frank.wode

Hi

i have used Inventor 2012 with Teamcenter 8,3 more than 2 yaers and i means is much more better as Vault.

Br

Frank

Message 7 of 9

I want to know about initial problems while using Inventor and Teamcenter.

Are their any issues with iPart format with Teamcenter.

Message 8 of 9
The_Angry_Elf

Oh boy can I tell you about this.

A few years back, the place I was working as the CAD Admin and using Vault Workgroup flawlessly decided to bring in Teamcenter and kept the CAD group out of the discussion for the most part (they thought I was somehow in the back pocket of Adesk).

When I learned of such, they finally included me in and after seeing what Teamcenter did and how it was going to be configured I pushed back saying it'll create a ton of issues for us in Engineering. I voted not to go with it, I was the only "no" vote.

So they proceeded, paid huge amounts of cash to have it configured and installed, get everyone trained. During training I pointed out numerous flaws that directly impacted the CAD department. These were items Teamcenter claimed in their sales pitch that it could do. Once it was in we found out those were things Teamcenter will "eventually" do. One of them was Copy Design, which we used extensively.

Well, once Engineering found out TC couldn't do Copy Design (or the like), their brilliant idea was to keep Vault Workgroups active along side TC.

I tried to explain to them til I was blue in the face that you can't have two different applications trying to control our datasets. Of course they ignored such and directed me to "make it happen" and support such. Well, as you can imagine, we had nothing but issues when it came down to which application owned the files. Of course, I would get called in on the carpet and drilled as to why I wasn't able to get things working correctly. I soon had enough, proved my points in black and white with all my documented concerns prior to them bringing in TC, added a huge "I TOLD YOU SO" and then handed in my resignation, telling them "good luck with that".

I know they handed everything off to a guy who had his lips firmly placed on the Engineering managers butt and within about a year or so, the company filed bankruptcy.

Now, granted, that was a good 8-10 yrs ago, I can only hope TC has improved over the years to add such functionality. Just don't expect to use Vault and TC together, it simply will not work for obvious reasons. Just wish in my case the suits would have listened to me. Note: a few years ago I crossed paths with one of the engineers I used to work with there and this matter came up and he admitted they all should have listened to what I was trying to tell them but that egos got in the way and they simply couldn't bring themselves to admit I was 100% correct.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 9 of 9
sberryman
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

Hi,

As of 2018, In my experience, Teamcenter still doesn't work well with Inventor. It's unbelievably slow at saving & loading models and it causes Inventor to crash regularly.

Good luck if you're considering it !!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report