Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users can not save drawing file prior to check in into vault. Inventor 2011 SP2

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bobfournier4926
651 Views, 10 Replies

Users can not save drawing file prior to check in into vault. Inventor 2011 SP2

Since installing Service Pack 2 for Inventor the following issues has been reported by several of my users:

Three uses running Inventor 2011 SP2 on Windows XP 64 bit and one user running Inventor Pro 2011 SP2 on Windows 7 64 bit have reported that they are unable to save an Inventor drawing file prior to checking it into vault.

The users will right click the drawing file name in the vault add in browser and select check in.  They are prompted to save the file before it can be checked in.  The users select Yes to save, the dialog box disappears and the file remains unsaved.

The user then clcks on the save button on the tool bar and the file does not save.  The user will click Save from the application icon drop down and again the file does not save.

The work around that I have them use is to close the file and when propmpted to save the file click Yes to save it.  Re-open the file and the user is then able to check the file into vault.

This seems to effect only Inventor drawing files as I have had no reports of saving difficulties with part or assembly files.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?  I have submitted a technical support request to Autodesk but was wondering if anyone else was seeing this behavior.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: bobfournier4926

Seems to be working here just fine.  Using 2011 x64 on SP2.  Vault update 2 is installed on the ADMS as well.

When you say "it remains unsaved", I take that it is still in red in the vault browser, correct?  Have them click the Refresh button in the vault browser.  They shouldnt have to do that, just wondering.

Can you capture what you are seeing?

Here is the way it works here http://screencast.com/t/0K46lLTZ2

Message 3 of 11

I received a reply from from Autodesk with some experiments to perform.

I appears from the file time stamp, that when prompted to save the file prior to check in the file is indeed saved.  The asterick however does not clear from the vault add in browser indicating it needs to be saved.  This prevents the file from being checked in.

Update 2 for vault was installed soon after it was released for distribution to resolve other issues we were having with vault.

This particular issue just started showing up this past week after users update Inventor with Update 2 so I kind of connected the two but now I'm not so sure.

Message 4 of 11

Hi,

I work with Bob. We are now on Inventor 2013 and this issue is still not resolved...

Message 5 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: kenjacques8585

KenJacques,

Are you having the same problem with 2013 that he was having in 2011? Can you describe your exact workflow step-by-step.  Better yet, a video/screen capture of what you are seeing.

Message 6 of 11

We still may have the issue with vault 2013 though I am hopeful.

Last week I installed Service Pack 1 on the vault server and on mine and a handfull of users client installations.

So far there have been no reports of new drawing files not being able to be checking in after saving.  However, I can say that if a file was affected by the save/check in issue prior to the installation of SP1 it is still affected.

I have attached a PDF that describes the steps and issues with checking in an affect drawing file.

Message 7 of 11
karthur1

Bob,

It sounds like support has looked at this already... their answer was a workaround? They are pretty good about nailing down the problem.

Since this is a .dwg, if you open/edit in acad, does it checkin properly after you edit it?

In Inventor, since you dont see the dialogs when you check in (your step 7) how are your prompts set (Vault >Options>Prompts)?

Not really sure why the astrick is not cleared when you save though, something is just not right.  How many people are seeing this issue?

Message 8 of 11
bobfournier4926
in reply to: karthur1

Well, support has looked at it in that I told them what I had to do to check in the file and they repeated it back to me as a work around.  They have had me try a few different things with .NET framework and other settings that didn't resolve the issue.

The file will check in properly if opened and edited in AutoCAD.

The dialogs are set to Always Prompt.

All users in my facility that are running Inventor/Vault on a 64 bit OS (Win 7 or XP) have seen this issue.  It is so random that  a user can go for days/weeks before seeing the issue pop up in a drawing they are working on.  Once the file exibites the check in/save issue, it always does from that time forward.  I have users in a facility in another state that are running Inventor/Vault on a separate local server that are also experiencing the issue.  The only commonality is that they too are running on a 64 bit OS.

One thing I haven't tried yet but will is to see if the file has the same checkin/save issue when opened and edited on another users PC.

Message 9 of 11

The good news is that Autodesk tech support can replicate the issue, so I am not crazy.

The bad news is that it has been sent off to the development team to review and since it is not a very high priority issue may or may not be addressed at anytime in the near future.

Message 10 of 11
karthur1

Bob,

Its good that they can replicate it. Hopefully development will work on it.

From your workflow, you are selecting check-in from the Vault menu. Sometimes when I use that and I have not saved my assembly (or some of the files in it are not checked out) I get a dialog that reads "xyz.iam and (x) dependent files must be saved before they can be checked in. Save and continue?".

2013-01-17_0734.png

Rather than saving the files, I use the "Close" from the graphics window. Inventor acts a little different with this command.  I hope they never change this cause I use this all the time.  Here are the steps after I close the above message:

1. Click the "Close" from the top right of the graphics window.
  2. At the save changes, select Yes. You may want to change the save status to No on some of the files here (ones that are Write Enabled).  If you dont then you will have edited out of turn files on your workspace.
  3. Click OK after you get this situated.
  4. Next, you will see a Vault dialog...xyz is checked out to you. Do you want to check it in?... click Yes here.

You may have already tried this workflow.. maybe not..but its worth a try.

Message 11 of 11
bobfournier4926
in reply to: karthur1

I have stumbled over the resolution to this problem.  There is an iLogic rule that was being triggered after the save command in the affected files that was updating an iproperty. This was keeping the file out of date.  When I changed the iLogic rule to trigger prior to save, the issue disappeared.

I have updated Autodesk Tech Support so they can file this one under "User Stupidity."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report