Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from Inventor 10 questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
326 Views, 4 Replies

Upgrading from Inventor 10 questions

I'm looking into upgrading my seat of Inventor 10, to be able to exchage sheet metal files with our Metal vendor who is running Inventor 2012.

• If I upgrade to 2014, can my vendor open the files?
  • Any issues with migrating alll my existing files from such an old version? I assuming the files are convered when opened for the first time.

Brian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Nope. You can't open newer versions of files. IV2014 can open IV2012 files but IV2012 ca't open IV2014 files. You would need to convert the files to a neutral format (export) for the person with the older version to import them into their system.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

Blair is right.  If you upgrade, you will need to save out your 2014 files to either igs, stp or parasolid in order for your metal vendor to read them.

As far as upgrading, since you are a few versions behind, I recommend if you are upgrading to 2014 to do it in progression steps.  Update 2010 to 2011 then 2011 to 2012 and so on.  Plus as you move up each increment, update all of your templates as well incrementally.  As far as your legacy files, chances are there wont be any issues, but there might be some settings that may be lost due to the software either has changed them, eliminated them or added new ones to replace old ones.  Hope that makes sense.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Cadmanto & Blair

Thanks for the quick rely.

My current inventor 10 is running on a Windows XP box....

I'll be installing the Inventor on Windows 7-64 bit system.

Which version started using a 64 bit system?

Message 5 of 5
Cadmanto

I think it was about 2008.

Let us know how you make out.

Best of luck.  Hope it all works out well for you.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report