Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating the appearance of a derived part

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mrattray
1263 Views, 10 Replies

Updating the appearance of a derived part

I have a part (several actually) that I made using the mirror command. I made these in 2012. When I converted to 2013 and set up my new appearance freindly materials, I changed the appearance for my 201 S/S matl to "Stainless Brushed".  The first image is of the derived part which is stuck on a "Steel" appearance, the second image is of the base model which is correctly displaying the "Stainless Brushed" appearance.  I tried playing around with the appearance overrides and I can't seem to get it to update.  My assembly looks like **** with the different appearances.

For chuckles sake I'll also mention that every time "appearance" appears in the above paragraph I typed color first and corrected it.

capture.jpg

capture2.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

Did you try rebuilding the model?  Sometimes Inventor needs a kick in the old pants!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: Cadmanto

I did try rebuilding. Thanks for the suggestion though, Scott.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

I am not running 2013 yet, but are you trying to change the material appearance in the part model or the assembly model?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: Cadmanto

I was trying to do it at the part level. I tried doing it on the assembly level just now and I was able to override it there. When I did that I opened up the part and it was still stuck on the old appearance. I tried overriding it there again, too, but still no change. The other parts are behaving the same way.

At least I'm able to get the assembly to not look retarded.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 11
mrattray

Nevermind, it looks like a close and a later reopen looses the overrides. So I'm still stuck with these ugly grey parts mated to my pretty brushed stainless parts.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 11
bobvdd

Do you reuse the part or create a new part during mirror?

If you create a new one, I would also check out the cached styles in the part template file.

Can you install 2013 Update 1 and try your workflow again?

If you still see the problem after installing Update1, please attach your 2012 files to the conversation so I could have a look at them.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 8 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: bobvdd

I create a new part when I use the mirror command.

By cached styles I assume you mean styles saved in the document? Somehow I ended up with umpteen copies of random stuff in there. Not sure how.

I installed Update 1 the day of it's release. Smiley Happy

This is 100% a 2013 problem. They worked fine in 2012. This also happens with parts made in 2013 (as opposed to migrated like the OP example).

Example parts attached.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 11
bobvdd

Thanks but could you send me the 2012 version of these files (if you still have those)? The files that you sent me were created fresh in 2013, which does not correspond with the workflow you describe in your original question.

If you say it is a 2013 problem only, I need to get a copy of your 2013 sheet metal template file as well.

In case this is a 2012- 2013 migration problem,  I would need a copy of the 2012 version of the 201 S/S material style that you used (the easiest would be to export to a styxml file in 2012).

Without having access to the 2012 files I can only look at the damage the migration did.
So what is the combination that you expect to end up with in both the original and mirrored part:

Material = P&O with Color/Appearance = Stainless - Brushed  (with an override to look polished  and shiny)

or

Material = 201 S/S with Color/Appearance = Stainless - Brushed (looking dull)

Or some other combination.

Thanks

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 10 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: bobvdd

Attached in zip:

My 2013 sheetmetal template (migrated from 2012)

The parts from the OP in 2013 flavor, I no longer have the 2012 versions.

Some new test parts that I made in 2012 using the default English template (my custom template was migrated) and then migrated to 2013.  These seem to work fine.

My 2012 201 S/S styxml file. (Not sure why you wanted that)

Both of these parts should have a 201 S/S matl with a Stainless - Brushed appearance. P&O should carry a Plate appearance. I don't really care too much exactly what the appearance is, I just want to be able to easily differentiate between different materials in the assembly.

I'm starting to strongly suspect my template.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 11
bobvdd

I can not directly reproduce what you are seeing.

The other element that certainly will play here is what you have stored in your Inventormateriallibrary.adsklib file.

I did see a ton of duplicate appearances used by various materials that you have defined in your template file.

The duplicates (styles with same name and  a number between round brackets) is a known problem that has not been solved by Update1.

duplicates.JPG

What I would do in your case is to save the custom styles that you are happy with and that you want to keep, to the Inventor adsklib library and remove the cached styles in your template file by purging (Manage > Purge). You won't be able to remove these duplicate styles with delete.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report