Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unresolved link crashes inventor

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
jhodgkinson
942 Views, 1 Reply

Unresolved link crashes inventor

I recently started working on a project from an old draftsman a while back. I needed to change out a part that was incorrect in a subassembly so I replaced it using the replace feature. Once that was done I saved and restarted IV 2014 to update all the files referencing this assembly. Upon opening the drawing file I received a message about a Cyclic dependency occurring within the assembly. After hours of searching I found it was with the part I had replaced earlier.

I have scanned numerous forums about cyclic dependencies and unresolved links to parts, but have found nothing of use. I have tried to delete the unresolved part which is not showing up in the model but only in the tree. I can left click on the + symbol and delete the constraints but this still does nothing to fix the unresolved link. The .iam file for the part that is unresolved is still in the same folder but can't seem to be foundby the subassembly. I even tried right clicking to delete/replace it from the tree but every time I try to do that IV 2014 crashes immediately and will not allow me or any other Draftsman to do so. This problem is causing the main assembly to be unresolved which is also causing the drawing file to be unresolved. Any help to remove this unresolved reference would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi jhodgkinson,

If I understand correctly, this might work, or at least might help you get past the errors so that you can see more clearly what needs to be fixed.

• Rename the existing 10424-1485-RevD.iam to x_10424-1485-RevD.iam in the folder.
  • Then create a new empty assembly and name it 10424-1485-RevD.iam.
  • Then open the 10424-209000.iam assembly and let it resolve to the new 10424-1485-RevD.iam file.
  • Then delete the 10424-1485-RevD.iam file from your 10424-209000.iam assembly tree.
  • Save and close the 10424-209000.iam file.
  • Delete the 10424-1485-RevD.iam file from the folder.
  • Rename the existing x_10424-1485-RevD.iam back to 10424-1485-RevD.iam.
  • Then open the 10424-209000.iam assembly file and attempt to place 10424-1485-RevD.iam.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report