Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under what conditions is a top-down design driven by an excel file updated?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
donovandigital
272 Views, 4 Replies

Under what conditions is a top-down design driven by an excel file updated?

I want to create a top-down design based on a skeleton part driven by an excel file. The problem is, I need to add much more information to the excel file later (probably after the model is complete) to more accurately calculate the values I want to pass to Inventor. Is this functionality available? Can I force inventor to update the derived values, or does it do so automatically? If the values are not automatically updated, what is the best workflow for my needs?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi! It depends on how the Excel file drives the skeletal part. If you link the Excel file to the part, the designated cells will be "watched" by Inventor and the cell values will be pushed to corresponding linked parameters. Any change on those cells will be detected by Inventor. And, Update button will be lited up if such change is detected. Once you click the Update button, the linked parameter values will be updated.You can use iLogic to automate the process.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5

Very cool, thanks

Message 4 of 5

Could you please give the specific meny path to access both features you mentioned?

Message 5 of 5

Hi! Attached is an extremely simple example created on R2014. The Excel table is linked to a part. And, an iLogic rule automates the Update process whenever there is a change in model parameter. To see it happens, just open the Inventor part file. The, edit the Excel file and change one of the parameters -> save and close Excel. The part should update automatically.

If you need more information, you could search "Excel", "Link", "Parameter", "iLogic" as keywords in Inventor Help or this forum.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report