Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to extrude imported DXF from Leica Disto tool - Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
LeanriZeeman
1320 Views, 7 Replies

Unable to extrude imported DXF from Leica Disto tool - Please help!

Hi

I'm really only a beginner on Inventor and we've just recently started using the Leica Disto measuring tool. The person who measured the staircase structure with Disto is also not a expert... see the attached dxf files of the structure, I also attach a jpeg of what the actual staircase looks like. I have to get this structure on Inventor & extrude it to allow me to add balustrades. Not all measurements were taken, normally I just work with what I got to get the staircase angle and easch section's toprail length (this staircase will have about 4 sections, first few steps curved upwards, at the harsh turn the next section starts, to left the top landing & again to left last part of landing).

I've read somewhere that its possible to turn the surface to a solid in Autocad & then import that to inventor... I dont know Autocad at all - going on some more courses in the months comming but at this stage I'm stuck!

Please be kind and help me in plain language 

Spoiler

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CCarreiras
in reply to: LeanriZeeman

Hi!

I think is easier design the stair and next create the structure in assembly enviroment using "Frame Generator".
You cant do nothing with these dxf, except view the dimensions information.

I think it's better to learn a little more about the software, then will be a piece of cake.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 8
chad38

That staircase is awesome.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 8
chad38

BTW, you can import that as a 3d sketch. Start a new part, then choose to start a 3D sketch. Then go to import ACAD and select the dwg.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 5 of 8
LeanriZeeman

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> body { font-family: "Calibri","Slate Pro","sans-serif"; color:#262626 }
Hi, thanks - I've done that but cant seem to figure out how to close all the lines off correctly. I normally do separate sections and then join in assembly. With this one I've not had time to start again, thought there was a easier way...

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: chad38

chad38 wrote:

BTW, you can import that as a 3d sketch. Start a new part, then choose to start a 3D sketch.

Can you demonstrate how to use this in Inventor?

I experimented a bit, and it doesn't look very useful to me?

First thing I would do is move to the origin (in AutoCAD) and it looks like the data needs to be aligned to xyz somewhere logical.

Point Cloud.PNG

Then Workplanes and 2d sketches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
chad38
in reply to: JDMather

I've only messed with it for a few seconds. It was hard to orient, but I found right clicking and aligning to plane helped when drawing the lines. Then dimensioning, which I found easier than constraints, meaning angle dimensions. But I didn't play for all that long with it, and what I had looked much like what you have there. The hardest part for me was being able to tell what direction the lines were going. I'm also not sure that the dwg provided kept the horizontal points on the same plane as one another, etc. When I made planes using 3 point plane the didn't seem to be parallel. Only one I felt I could be confident in was the very top level. Aside from that, I'd think the poster would know better than I which lines and points to select. Personally, I would go with the inside faces of the stairs and ditch the ones to the outside. Get those and the rise/run figured out then add the outer wall, I just figured the 3D sketch could be helpful at least for reference or overlay to check as he models. Nah mean?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 8 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: chad38

I suspect the person who collected the points could have done a better job of it.

I think I would go back with a pencil and paper and a tape measure.

Gave me a headache just trying to work with this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report