Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change _some_ frame members in frame generator

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
kvannj
1564 Views, 10 Replies

Unable to change _some_ frame members in frame generator

Hi

I am currently working on a frame in inventor. Everything has worked fine until now, and i'm learning new approaches all the time. However, a problem suddenly appeared the other day: Some of the frame members won't work with the change feature.

As you can see in the attached files, i've selected a hollow profile, and it turns green and transparent, and i may change the frame member, and position. However, when i try to select the IPBl (that was added later in the project), the menu pops up, but any changes i make don't stick. Also, it does not turn green.

This applies for all of the recently added members. The plates you see in the picture are normal parts added to the assembly. The assembly is a weldment assembly, and i'm running inventor pro 2014.

PC specs:

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Z620 Workstation
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: Quadro K2000
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FFE&SUBSYS_094C103C&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2101 MB

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
kvannj
in reply to: kvannj

anyone?

Message 3 of 11
kvannj

Does noone really have any ideas?

Message 4 of 11
cbenner

I would suggest posting the assembly for someone to look at.  Almost impossible to tell from just a picture what the problem might be.  I'd take a look, but I'm only on 2013 IV.

Message 5 of 11
Cadmanto

I agree with Chris.  It is hard to diagnose from the pics.  Although pics are good.  Smiley Happy

I believe the green hollow (as you describe it) is just a preview of what will hopefully come in.

I am guessing it is not liking something to do with your sketch.  My experience with any 3D software is if it previews, but does not give you the geometry there is something it doesn't like in the sketch.

If you post anything, just post the sketch.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 11
kvannj

The sketch? You mean my skeleton file? The frame members are created from content centre, and I don't even know what the sketches look like.

The geometry is there, but i "simply" can't select the geometry I want to change. In the pic that shows the IPBl, i've selected it, it's still there, but it's not changeable...

The files are way to huge to upload here, unfortunately.

Message 7 of 11
Cadmanto

In your pics and it looks as though you are using frame generator.  If that is the case then you always create a skeleton sketch which is used to show where the frame members go.  That is the sketch I am talking about.  Look at that and see if there is something fishy about that particular member.

I understand that the complete assembly would be rather large to upload.  That is why I suggested just the skeleton sketch.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 11
cbenner

@kvannj wrote:

The sketch? You mean my skeleton file? The frame members are created from content centre, and I don't even know what the sketches look like.

Didn't you create the frame sketch?  Or did someone else do that part of the project and then hand it off?

Have you worked with any of the Frame Generator tutorials?   FG is not something to dive into blind, you'll end up hating it.  (not that I LOVE it, lol)

Message 9 of 11
kvannj

I created the frame sketch, I just thought he meant the profile sketch for the extrusion of the beam. I'll upload the skeleton, however, some of the lines are currently not in use, also - some lines are used multiple times (mistake I made early in the project, as this was my 1st frame). Come to think of it - that may be the cause of my problem (?)

Message 10 of 11
Cadmanto

If you have multiple lines including some over the top of others I would seriously look into that.  It just might be the root cause of your problem.  Let us know how you make out.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 11
cbenner

That may indeed be your problem, or part of it.

I was actually able to look at your sketches, *I still had an install of 2014 for evaluation).  I think you might want to look into simplifying your sketches a bit, there is a lot going on with all of the work planes and sketches all over the place.  A lot of what you have here might be accomplished with using 3D sketches.  I did notice that sketch1 was not fully constrained, and several others are also not.  Without the complete assembly it's still difficult to tell what your specific problem is, but getting these sketches under control would be a start.

I don't recommend changing your entire structure now,... you're so far into it.  But look into 3D sketches for future work, there is a lot less chance for cross part reference failures, and it simplifies your assembly greatly. 

In my experiences with FG, I can say that sometimes you have to delete a member and replace it to get it to update.  I can't remember if I asked this up above, but have you tried "Rebuild All"?  Try it at different levels of the assembly and see what that does for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report