Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off Mini-Toolbar

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
whunter
5620 Views, 36 Replies

Turn off Mini-Toolbar

Does anyone know how to turn off the new 2012 Mini-Toolbar? 

I realise it will probably require editing the registry. I'm fine with that.

Thanks,

William

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
stephengibson76
in reply to: whunter

RMB on the ribbon, customize user commands, marking menu tab
Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 37
whunter
in reply to: stephengibson76

Not the Marking Menu, I'm OK with that. I'm talking about the below.

I want one, not both. The Mini-Toolbar would've been fine if it was complete, but it isn't. I've submitted a Support request about this.

Basically, they're telling us 1.00 + 0.99 = 1.00. They couldn't fool an 8 year old with that, yet Autodesk thinks they can fool adults with nonsense like that.

MiniToolbar_2011-11-25-000031.png

Message 4 of 37
whunter

I got a reply from Autodesk saying there's no way to switch off the Mini-Toolbar that tags along with the roll-up dialog window for extrusions, cuts, etc.

But there may be an option in the future, as this has been requested.

I'd be interested to know how many people will switch it off if they had the option... 'Kudos' this post if you are one of those who will switch it off, because it seems to me that I'm the only person in the world crying Smiley Sad about this.

Message 5 of 37
Doug_DuPont

I'm bring this back up to the top of the discussion group just because I does like the mini toolbars so much. I'm always looking under the wrong down arrow for what I want. I hate it, I hate it. And I can't get rid of it. Autodesk you need to try something else. How about a dialog box with all I need right in front of me. How does that sound.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 6 of 37
stevec781
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

I would turn it off because its more clicks to select options.  1 to open the drop down and 1 to select.  Going to the full (old) dialog box is much faster as all options are visible and clickable.  Just another example autodesk devoting resources to gimmicks instead of functionality, and we still cant set a default value for distance and direction

Message 7 of 37
mrattray
in reply to: stevec781

I would toggle it off. It has no purpose other than cluttering the interface.

There's nothing wrong with dialog boxes. This is professional software for doing professional work, it doesn't need to be pretty it needs to be functional. Dialog boxes are functional.

I would be thrilled, however, if they added some sort of customizability to the command defaults. Even "sticky" settings would be a large step forward.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 37
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: mrattray

How do you toggle off the mini toolbars? 

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 9 of 37
mcgyvr
in reply to: mrattray

Conversations from an Autodesk programmer....

"hey..We've got this mini-tool bar working but it doesn't have all the functionality of the regular dialog boxes and we don't have time to get it all in there.."

"well thats ok. just leave both and we will fix it later"

3 years later.....

"hey boss, can we finally get rid of the legacy dialog boxes or at least code an option to turn one off?"..

"Nah.. thats time we would have to spend and marketing can't figure out a way to claim that as new functionality..just leave them both still and we will fix it later"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 37
whunter

Well, I've stopped paying subscription. Once the dev lead understands what clients want (like customisable dialogue boxes, default distances and directions for extrusions), I'll consider to start paying subscription again. But by that time I might be using Solid Works or Edge again. Really fed up with this half baked interface, pathetic.

Message 11 of 37
QuasiMojo

I've started using SolidWorks more and more as these Inventor revisions are consistently underwhelming.  I have to admit that both have their strengths and weaknesses; SW being less annoying to use overall, I feel.

This mini-toolbar is a perfect example of developer time wasted.  I disagree with the previous post that it was the developer's idea to leave it in; I expect there was some management droid that likes fancy-looking ("minimalist" to use a salesman's BS) transparent toolbar that looks great in brochures but sucks to use. It's like concept cars: they never have air vents because they look bad but you need them or it's misery in the car.  Same with the mini-toolbar, snazzy but completely unrealistic.  It always floats where it shouldn't or it has to be anchored far away and it doesn't even do the job it's supposed to.  I have come to the opinion that the managers of the software development do not use the product in any real capacity.  It seems like something from Dilbert.

...not that I have a strong opinion on this particular topic.

end rant

Message 12 of 37
whunter
in reply to: QuasiMojo

@Anonymous_Bandersnatch wrote:

This mini-toolbar is a perfect example of developer time wasted.  I disagree with the previous post that it was the developer's idea to leave it in; I expect there was some management droid that likes fancy-looking ("minimalist" to use a salesman's BS) transparent toolbar that looks great in brochures but sucks to use. ...

You're probably right, I'm jumping to conclusions by assuming that it's a developer who came up with the idea of an eye candy tool for professionals. It probably is/was a management decision. Just wish that whovever made the decision realises that having two interfaces that does the same thing on one screen is, well, it's just plain stupid, isn't it? I mean, explain the benefit to me of having a perfectly usabe dialogue box, AND a half baked pain in the rear floating gimmick that hovers around your workspace.

Has nobody come up with a system registry hack yet?

Message 13 of 37
jbrown1434

The only thing I can do is move the mini tool bar to a corner out of my main work area and pin it down.  I think you can also adjust the ime it takes to fade away but I havent tried yet.

Message 14 of 37
mikeweb74

Dialog boxes suck!!! I can’t believe that there is not a setting to turn off the mini-toolbar or at least an option to toggle between dialog box and mini-toolbar, and that Inventor did not include all of the options in the mini-toolbar. SolidWorks did away dialog boxes as many years ago. Have dupped Inventor yet? Did you go back to Solid Edge or SolidWorks?

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
Message 15 of 37
blentner

I also dislike the mini-toolbar.  A lot. It has simply caused way too much wasted time and frustration, and that I don't need.  When designing, I need to fly at the speed of thought - I can't get bogged down in programmatic overhead.

Message 16 of 37
imbik

My point is different than if we need a mini toolbar or not. Simply, why that thing always jumps over the exact place where I need to use for example extrude feature, therefore I can't see the geometry needs to be extruded ? irksome...

Message 17 of 37
TedescoATC

Seriously, Autodesk.  Does anybody working there remember AutoCAD, or are you all too young?

Do you know why AutoCAD became the default drafting tool for industry?

USER CUSTOMIZATION.

Give us back the ability to tweek the interface the way we want it.  If you want to make money, that is.  Just make it amenable to the natural human instinct to "make it my own".  I'd settle for "make it work better" at this point.

Please get rid of the gimmicky toolbars that get in the way of us doing our jobs.

Message 18 of 37

@TedescoATC wrote:
...Do you know why AutoCAD became the default drafting tool for industry?

USER CUSTOMIZATION....

Hi TedescoATC,

Some would contend that the abilty to easily pirate AutoCAD (compared to other CAD softwares of the time that required dongle keys, and key codes, etc) is what led to AutoCAD becoming "the default drafting tool for industry". Smiley Wink

As for the mini-toolbars, Autodesk has already accepted this IdeaStation idea to provide an option to turn them off. But you can still lend your support to the idea by providing a kudo:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Allow-the-user-to-tun-off-the-mini-toolbars-in-ca...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 19 of 37

Curtis, you're probably right!

Thanks for the linkage - kudos all around.

Your posts are always helpful - thanks for that, too!

Message 20 of 37

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

105 kudos and accepted over a year ago. I wonder how long before this becomes "implemented".

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report