Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube and Pipe - Custom or cut-back Elbow use

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tech
2566 Views, 8 Replies

Tube and Pipe - Custom or cut-back Elbow use

Hi I am trying to understand how to do something in Inventor with the Tube and Pipe (routed systems) module. I would like to know how to create/use a “cut-back” elbow while routing my pipe runs. You see sometimes or often I need to create lines at slopes which I don’t know what the slope is going to be beforehand. In one line I might have to create 5deg, 8 deg and 12deg slopes to compete the line and I don’t know that until I am busy with that piece. How do I do that? I see it’s easy to create a “Custom bend” but then I don’t have an elbow. That does not help because my BOM will not be correct if I use that method. My colleague says in Solid Works you can do that very easy and you can do it while you route… 😞

That does not help me!

Any idea of how to overcome this little obstacle?

Its like I am 95% there but …

Thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jacques_Blaauw
in reply to: tech

Bump.  I'd also like to know this.

None of our pipes are 90 or 45 degrees from each other, it's only funny angles with lots of decimals.  In practice, we buy a 45 or 90 degree elbow and cut it to suit.

To make effective drawings of this, we'd need to be able to indicate elbows on the drawings.  Bends in the pipe don't help.

Jacques Blaauw

Message 3 of 9
tech
in reply to: Jacques_Blaauw

Well that sorts that out... 😞

This was Autodesk's response to my support request:

==================================================

I am not aware of methods for creating such type of elbow while creating the pipe runs. In Inventor you can place elbows from the content center or custom elbows which you have to author and publish in Content center in adavance. The authoring of custom fittings is done by using this procedures:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/3029-Tube_and3029/3030-Getting...

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

==================================================

This is a serious shortcoming of Inventor and I have been reading up on the forums and on the internet and to be honest it looks like people have been asking for this for many years! I have also gone through the last few releases of Inventor and checked all the “What’s new” features and I don’t see anything new for the Tube and Pipe module besides very small adjustments here and there. Has Autodesk now started putting all their attention towards Plant 3D? Not all of us want or need Plant 3D and it’s such a pity that the Tube and Pipe technology built into Inventor is left in the dark!

Solidworks can actually handle this quite well. I think Autodesk is splitting their technology too much across different platforms making it very difficult for people to access. Look at surface modelling as well. Once again you have to learn how to use Alias to do any serious surface modelling and then transfer that back into Inventor… also only if you have Product Design Suite Ultimate...

Anyway I hope the Tube and Pipers out their get some attention from Autodesk soon. I want to do my piping in Inventor and not in Plant 3D. One model, one BOM, one digital prototype... Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 9
Raider_71
in reply to: tech

Ditto...

For anyone wanting this functionality please ask Autodesk or tell them about it.

You can submit all your suggestions for product improvements on Autodesk’s website:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

They have a team looking at all the suggestions and take appropriate action.

Message 5 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Raider_71

Message 6 of 9
FProcp
in reply to: cbenner

I think this is very important and I've posted this http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/tube-and-pipe-overhaul-cut-back-elbows/idi-p/6403810

Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 8 of 9
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: cbenner

Not sure if this is related or useful, but I use to make sloped piping styles for self draining runs.  More information here.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Great tutorial Mark!

We only tried this once, but couldn't get the elbows to work.  Probably because they were butt weld elbows, created using a sweep.  it was impossible to get the adjustable angle to work right.  If it ever comes up again, I'll look at your tutorial.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report