Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to force a file save

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
divingdoug
501 Views, 2 Replies

Trying to force a file save

I am making copy of a large assembly from teh design location to the final documentation location.  I used the pack&go tool (horrible implementation of this feature, see SW for the right way to do it)

Since there was a miriad of subfolders that I wanted to eliminate, I chose the flattent to singel folder option.  Big mistake as then taking the handfull of subassemblies and trying to put them back in their own subfolders is a RPITA.  The great Design Assistant tool will let you make copies but it won't let you simply move a sub-assy and it's related files.

To the ponit, I ended up with multiple copies of a lot of stuff and I want to eliminate the un-needed files.  I figure, open the top level assy, do a save-all and the Date Modified is my sort tool. WRONG.  Unlike other programs (as in pretty much every other program in the worls) when you save something, it update the file whether there were any changes or not.

Inventor decided that if you didn't make some kind of edit, it would not save the item.  I can edit the top level assy and it will save that but not any of the components or sub-assy's, even if I do a save-all.

To this end, is there any other way to force all the files to actually be saved without having to do some un-needed edit to everything?

Doug

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
harco
in reply to: divingdoug

Open your top level assy and open the bom editor.

Add an iproperty column that you don't usually use (best to use a standard one so there is no extra custom iproperty to delete later) then fill the cell for each part with any value you like other than null, you can drag fill as in excel.

Save the top level assy and it should prompt to save all the parts and assy's with the altered iproperty.

This should give you a Date Modified.

Once you're done removing copies, go back to the bom editor and clear the column contents.

This wouldn't be a best practice method but should solve it the way you wish to do it.

Message 3 of 3
divingdoug
in reply to: divingdoug

A work around but I guess that is quicker than faking out some other type of edit for each item.

Thanks

Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report