Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try to creating my own IDW template...

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
raveruben
1637 Views, 4 Replies

Try to creating my own IDW template...

hey,
I'm recently using inventor a lot.
I think its a very good program!
But now IM try to make a .IDW template with my own line styles and thickness and stuff.
This is what I do:

I open an exciting IDW file.

I go to manage and click style editor

1.gif

then I create a new style. Called test style

2.gif

I make sure I activate my new style and I go to layers, where I change the line weight from 0.51mm to 0.25 mm (example)

3.gif

I save my change and close style editor... After that I save my copy as template (called test 6-1) and close the drawing.

6.gif

I open inventor and create a new file. Select the template I created.....

I get this style conflict.... I don't fully understand this error... How can I fix this problem?

9.png

When my new template opens, I check the line weight by the style editor but the weight detent change... Its still 0.51 mm

I hope you guys know how to fix this!!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question and also sorry for my bad English!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: raveruben

Inventor Styles (including layer settings like what you are dealing with) exist in two locations - locally in the document, and externally in a folder called the "Styles Library."  When you edit your template, you are only changing the Local copy of the style.

When you create a new drawing document, it detects that the local style and the library style don't match.  This is what the "Style Conflict" error message is warning you about.  When there is a conflict, the library copy wins (Local Styles are intended to be used as exceptions, Library Styles are the rule).  That is why you aren't seeing your changes when you create a new drawing from your template.

To get the changes to show up in new documents, you will need to save them to the library.  After making your changes in the template file, go to the Manage tab.  In the "Styles and Standards" panel, click Save.  For anything you have changed, make sure "Save to Library" is set to "Yes", then click OK.

The next time you create a new drawing from the template, it should have the modified styles.

Message 3 of 5
raveruben
in reply to: jtylerbc

hey jtylerbc,
tanks for the good instructions.
i understand what u say.
My problem is, when i open style editor the windows shows up with the : only red text in it (see my pics before)
when i make my changes, i try to click on the save button by the styles and standards panel, but the button is invisible so i cant click it. i already try to make my own library by manage -->; projects -->;configure content center library --> create library so i made a library witch is not read only, but this one doesn't show up in the style manage windows.. hope u can help me.
Message 4 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: raveruben

You had the right idea by making a read/write library.  However, a Content Center library is not what you need.  Content Center is Inventor's storage system for common parts, like hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) and structural steel shapes (angle iron, channels, tube), and doesn't have anything to do with styles.

Instead, click the Projects button.  For the project file you are working in, change the "Use Style Library" setting to "Read-Write".  Then try the save procedure as explained before.

Message 5 of 5
raveruben
in reply to: jtylerbc

tnks mate! this is very helpful for me! now i can continue my work for today! people like u are very helpful for new inventor users!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report