Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
miechh
Message 1 of 7 (1,585 Views)

True Type Font displays incorrectly after publishing to DWF

1585 Views, 6 Replies
06-10-2010 02:44 AM

Last week I installed a new True Type Font in Windows, so that our drawing title blocks comply to our company standards. I noticed that when checked in into the Vault, the title block containing the new font doesn't display correctly. It shows the new font, but it's distorted; it's bigger, and the letters are too close to eachother. When printing from the Vault, this doesn't change, it's exactly what Vault shows. (See attachments). Also when publishing from within Inventor (File --> Export --> Export to DWF) the font gets distorted.

Posted this message in the Vault-forum, but according to Autodesk it's an Inventor related issue.

Our non-Cad-people are complaining about this, because it's non-compliant to our standards... How can I correct this matter?

Product Design Suite 2014
Inventor 2014, Vault 2014
HP Workstation Z220
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
Mentor
RobJV
Message 2 of 7 (1,548 Views)

Re: True Type Font displays incorrectly after publishing to DWF

06-10-2010 08:23 PM in reply to: miechh

I had a similar issue and eventually dropped dwfs in favor of pdfs.

Not directly answering your question but 2 questions for you.  Does pdf work? 

And do you need the font in multiple places or is it simply a part of your company logo?  If so, you can take it into Acad and "explode text" and then bring it back in as a vector drawing.

**Master
BMiller63
Message 3 of 7 (1,542 Views)

06-11-2010 06:30 AM in reply to: RobJV

I too am going to be guilty of not answering the original question, but I also fought these issues in an effort to implement DWF files. In the end we gave up and now use PDF also. There were just too many minor issues with DWF. And sadly resellers and Autodesk seemed to always come up short in offering solutions to fixing these things. So PDF it is for us.

There is a Design Review (DWF) forum, so you might post this question over there as well:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Design-Review/bd-p/140

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 4 of 7 (1,534 Views)

06-11-2010 07:06 AM in reply to: BMiller63

Guilty also... Had the same problem from day 1 of my Inventor/DWF life and switched to pdf and never looked back. We also use a TTF font for our company name...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

miechh
Message 5 of 7 (1,502 Views)

06-14-2010 12:14 AM in reply to: RobJV

Thanks everyone for your answers.

We also create pdf's from our drawings, for our customers. The font displays correctly in pdf. But this is an extra step in our process, and I don't think this should be necessary, especially with the functionality of Vault. Opening the drawing in Autocad, exploding the titleblock, and importing the logo as vectors in Inventor enlarges the filesize, so I think that's not a good option. I think the DWF-format could be a good one, but all these minor 'glitches' in DWF convince me more and more that PDF is better, besides that, 90% of the world uses PDF. Why doesn't Autodesk cooperate with Adobe to create an alternative for DWF or at least tackle these bugs in DWF?

HP Workstation Z220
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
miechh
Message 6 of 7 (1,060 Views)

01-02-2012 01:21 AM in reply to: miechh

Well, I'm replying to my own replies... :smileyfrustrated: Switched to Inventor 2012. Hoped the mentioned problem had disappeared, but it's still there. Autodesk, please?

HP Workstation Z220
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
miechh
Message 7 of 7 (965 Views)

02-18-2013 02:56 AM in reply to: miechh

It's 2013 now. We got new workstations and switched from Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I hoped this issue would be solved automatically, but it's still present. What a bummer...:manfrustrated:

HP Workstation Z220
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube