Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim surface for FEA preparation

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mmok
347 Views, 11 Replies

Trim surface for FEA preparation

HI:

I have the attached 2011 inventor structure model which require trimming the edge of surface outside the boundary structure plate in preparation for FEA analysis.

I was trying to use "delete" surface for the above ans found that after deleting the outside surface there is a gap in the boundary plate and unsure if this will affect the FEA modelling?

thanks,

Martin 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: mmok

You can use the split command, if i have undestood

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 12
CCarreiras

Hi!

Place some print screens to explain better...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

@mmok wrote:

I was trying to use "delete" surface for the above ans found that after deleting the outside surface there is a gap.... 

I assume you meant Delete Face command.  Be sure to use the Heal option of that command or you will change your solid body into a surface body.

There is most likely a much easier way.

I would model this quite differently.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 12
mmok
in reply to: JDMather

See attached for what I am trying achieve.

Being a new comer I am open to all suggestion on how use the tools better, you mentioned that you would model this differently and will you be kindly to run me through on the approach this?

thks,

Message 6 of 12
mmok
in reply to: CCarreiras

HI Carlos:

See attached on what am I trying to achieve.

thks,

Martin

Message 7 of 12
CCarreiras

Hi!

What technique are you using so far?

I think this will be easy.

First you have to make a surface to serve as a boundary and then use "trim solid" to discard the geometry you don't need.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
CCarreiras

Hi!

Create a pane by these three points:

Clipboard01.png

Then Open Split Tool.

Select "Trim solid" Mode, and choose the plane as boundary. The arrows point to the Trimmed material.

Clipboard02.png

Use the same for the rest of your solid.

The key is in the boundaries (surfaces) you need.

You ca have boundaries formed by planes, surfaces made by extrusions, sweeps, etc, and you also can copy faces in the model and repair them to serve as boundary.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
mmok

Carlos:

Much appreciated for this, I will have a go accroding to your tips and come back if there's more question!

thks,

Martin

Message 10 of 12
CCarreiras

I don't have 2011 version, only 2014 and 2015, so i'm sending you the step... take a look.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
mmok

Carlos; you method did work very well! just one more trimming need to be done (see attached) where it require two interacting surface to trim the boundary plate, do you have any suggestion as if I am trimming the plate through those two surface (pointed in red arrow in the attached) some part of the model will be loss.

Going forward I will require to take this model for FEA, do you have any experience in this area where you can give me a few pointers on how to check and prepare the model for meshing process? my understanding is that if there is any fault in the model it will interrupt the meshing process, since my model do have a log of connection between different plate I concerned it will causing problem somewhere in the mesh.

Many thanks,

Martin 

Message 12 of 12
CCarreiras

Hi!!

• Copy the two surfaces as surface (not  composite)
  • stitch both
  • extend the stiched surface.... and you have a new boundary!!!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report