Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitional constraint going bad

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
WHolzwarth
386 Views, 3 Replies

Transitional constraint going bad

Lots of work are left in Inventor's modeling, Studio animations, DS, constraining, surface stitching, 3D curve combining into complete runs. Personally I'd prefer that much more than Home screen gimmicks and rendering improvements.

See sample. I've tried to move the Nautilus gears (invisible), but their surface for transitional constraint is divided into separate regions. No way for combining them into a single surface.

After that I built the surfaces separately (Nautiluskurve.ipt). I could constrain them with a transitional constraint, but this is permanently going bad at random positions.

Normally this could be a task for DS. But I found no way for introducing an appropriate DS joint.

So far I could go. What now? Thanks for hints.

Walter

Later: In DS, applying a 3D contact helped. But an error message occurred, when I tried to add a 180° back-and-forth rotation

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Walter,

This is a very interesting example. I suspect there might be multiple issues here. The original transition faces (imported surface) are not ideal. There are G0 edges. The newly created surface is much better in terms of tangent continuity but the surface seems quite complicated.

I tried a simple example using equation driven curve and the motion seems to be more stable. Could you try it with EDC?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
WHolzwarth
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Tried it, Johnson, and no luck. Equation curve syntax needs improvement for this special case. See picture.

Equation curve exponent issue.jpg

If exponent is an integer, then there's no problem. But the equation doesn't expect a changing exponent like t.

Smiley Happy Good catch, Johnson.

Walter

P.S. That's the situation with 2014. I didn't try it with 2015

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hi! Indeed, currently EDC does not support power as a variable. This looks like a limitation. I cannot think of a way to bypass the limitation except using imported points.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report