Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
3NorthWave
Message 1 of 13 (172 Views)

Toggling between shaded display and wireframe

172 Views, 12 Replies
07-15-2009 02:51 PM
While in a part file, how do you quickly toggle between shaded mode and wireframe mode?

Thanks.
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 2 of 13 (172 Views)

Re: Toggling between shaded display and wireframe

07-15-2009 04:12 PM in reply to: 3NorthWave
There is a toggle on the right side of the screen in the Navigation bar to do this in 2010. In previous versions it is on the Inventor Standard Toolbar accross the top.
Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 3 of 13 (172 Views)

07-15-2009 04:15 PM in reply to: 3NorthWave
I have now answered three simple questions about the software for you. If you have not had formal training you might want to start with the tutorials in the Help section. Beyond that we have an Introduction to Inventor Webinar that we are hosting on July 20th as a reseller. Free of charge. Click here: www.rand.com/imaginit and click on the Events page to sign up. We also do a free range open Q&A once a month in our Inventor Tips and Tricks Webinars.
Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
Active Contributor
3NorthWave
Message 4 of 13 (172 Views)

07-16-2009 02:59 PM in reply to: 3NorthWave
Mark,

Thanks for your replies. I tried replying sooner but I wasn't able to sign on here until just now (4:50pm Central time).

Thanks for the webinar tips you mentioned.
I hope I was not out of line by asking "simple" questions here without taking formal training.

I've definitely been using the help and the tutorials. I also understand that formal training would be recommended. However, no matter how good the tutorials, help, or formal training, I believe I'll still have a ton of "simple" questions, because I'm certain the formal training is not going to cover all the details that I'll need to know in order to work in a manner I deem most efficient and logical. I've also been stymied a number of times with the help. (I've been amazed so far that the dialogue boxes don't behave as an MDT-guy would anticipate....and...how difficult can it be to look up "patterning holes" in the help...so far I haven't located that.) So my hope was that I could ask questions here to bolster the other learning resources currently available.
I plan on riding this bull until I break it.

Thanks to any and all who answer the "simple" questions posted by us MDT-users who are currently clunking around in IV. VERY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

3NW
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 13 (172 Views)

07-16-2009 06:19 PM in reply to: 3NorthWave
>I hope I was not out of line by asking "simple" questions here without taking formal training.

Fine to ask beginner questions, but I think I've read through all of your posts and don't see what version of Inventor you are using. A lot of changes to 2010. It would help to properly answer your questions if you include version.

You might want to read this document (written for earlier release but you should be able to figure it out).

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
3NorthWave
Message 6 of 13 (172 Views)

07-17-2009 07:20 AM in reply to: 3NorthWave
Thanks for the document JD.
Sorry for not mentioning this sooner...I'm trying to learn Inventor 2010, while trying to stay on top of several hot projects at work (with MDT).

I'm just starting to model things in IV 2010, just to see how far I can get without formal training.
I'm not naive enough to think I can learn it without formal training, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see how far I could get with it right now.

As a longtime MDT user, I hoped I could pick up IV on my own, but so far it's looking like that won't be as easy as I thought. I understand most of the basic modeling concepts (from my 13 years with MDT), but at this early stage, the IV commands and dialogue boxes look and act a bit foreign to me...so then I try to use the help, sometimes I get what I need, other times I can't find it. (In the IV help, I still haven't found where it tells you how to place a rectangular pattern of a a hole...I've searched under "holes", and "patterns", I still don't have a step-by-step procedure on exactly how to do it)
Gotta keep at it.

Thanks again.

3NW
Active Contributor
3NorthWave
Message 7 of 13 (172 Views)

07-17-2009 07:21 AM in reply to: 3NorthWave
> {quote:title=Mark_Flayler wrote:}{quote}
> There is a toggle on the right side of the screen in the Navigation bar to do this in 2010. In previous versions it is on the Inventor Standard Toolbar accross the top.

Thanks Mark for the shading toggle tip.
Much appreciated.

3NW
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 13 (172 Views)

07-17-2009 08:12 AM in reply to: 3NorthWave
>I've searched under "holes", and "patterns"

No need to search. Simply click on the Rectangular Patterns tool and then hit F1 upper left corner of keyboard.

You might also want to search on sketch patterns which I normally recommend against, but hole placement is one good use of sketch patterns (center points that the hole tool will automatically find).

As far as I can remember this is pretty much the same as MDT once you get the dialog box up.

Keep with it, I taught MDT for years and when I started experimenting with Inventor I told the class up-front, "MDT is my favored program but we'll look at this Inventor program." Half way through the semester I was eating those words. It was obvious that MDT was completely, absolutely outdated technology. We seldom bothered to open it again the rest of the semester. I haven't needed anything in MDT for several years.

You might also want to read this document (maybe first). It will appear to be the same document but it goes just a bit more detail into some things as it was for a lecture while the later one I linked before was for a lab.
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf Edited by: JDMather on Jul 17, 2009 11:13 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
3NorthWave
Message 9 of 13 (172 Views)

07-17-2009 09:29 AM in reply to: 3NorthWave
Thanks again JD.
These documents are excellent.
I was able to find help info after drilling down (extensively) under the "patterned features" area of help. I couldn't believe how far down I had to go to get a step-by-step procedure on this. I was able to make it work once, then when I tried it again, it didn't behave (or seems to have not behaved) the way it did on my first (successful) attempt. For some reason on the second attempt, when I select a hole, it also selects the whole flange that the holes are drilled into, and then patterns the flange along with the holes. I can't figure out how to select just the holes now.

3NW
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 10 of 13 (172 Views)

07-17-2009 09:32 AM in reply to: 3NorthWave
> I can't figure out how to select just the holes now.

Did you create the hole as a circle in the parent sketch
or as a circle in a child sketch
or with the Hole tool?

You should use the Hole tool. AFAIK this is the same recommendation in MDT.

Assuming you used the Hole tool simply select the feature in the browser rather than on the part. Seems to me this was the same in MDT.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube