Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggling between shaded display and wireframe

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
3NorthWave
3190 Views, 12 Replies

Toggling between shaded display and wireframe

While in a part file, how do you quickly toggle between shaded mode and wireframe mode?

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mflayler2
in reply to: 3NorthWave

There is a toggle on the right side of the screen in the Navigation bar to do this in 2010. In previous versions it is on the Inventor Standard Toolbar accross the top.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 13
mflayler2

I have now answered three simple questions about the software for you. If you have not had formal training you might want to start with the tutorials in the Help section. Beyond that we have an Introduction to Inventor Webinar that we are hosting on July 20th as a reseller. Free of charge. Click here: www.rand.com/imaginit and click on the Events page to sign up. We also do a free range open Q&A once a month in our Inventor Tips and Tricks Webinars.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 4 of 13
3NorthWave

Mark,

Thanks for your replies. I tried replying sooner but I wasn't able to sign on here until just now (4:50pm Central time).

Thanks for the webinar tips you mentioned.
I hope I was not out of line by asking "simple" questions here without taking formal training.

I've definitely been using the help and the tutorials. I also understand that formal training would be recommended. However, no matter how good the tutorials, help, or formal training, I believe I'll still have a ton of "simple" questions, because I'm certain the formal training is not going to cover all the details that I'll need to know in order to work in a manner I deem most efficient and logical. I've also been stymied a number of times with the help. (I've been amazed so far that the dialogue boxes don't behave as an MDT-guy would anticipate....and...how difficult can it be to look up "patterning holes" in the help...so far I haven't located that.) So my hope was that I could ask questions here to bolster the other learning resources currently available.
I plan on riding this bull until I break it.

Thanks to any and all who answer the "simple" questions posted by us MDT-users who are currently clunking around in IV. VERY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

3NW
Message 5 of 13
JDMather

>I hope I was not out of line by asking "simple" questions here without taking formal training.

Fine to ask beginner questions, but I think I've read through all of your posts and don't see what version of Inventor you are using. A lot of changes to 2010. It would help to properly answer your questions if you include version.

You might want to read this document (written for earlier release but you should be able to figure it out).

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
3NorthWave

Thanks for the document JD.
Sorry for not mentioning this sooner...I'm trying to learn Inventor 2010, while trying to stay on top of several hot projects at work (with MDT).

I'm just starting to model things in IV 2010, just to see how far I can get without formal training.
I'm not naive enough to think I can learn it without formal training, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see how far I could get with it right now.

As a longtime MDT user, I hoped I could pick up IV on my own, but so far it's looking like that won't be as easy as I thought. I understand most of the basic modeling concepts (from my 13 years with MDT), but at this early stage, the IV commands and dialogue boxes look and act a bit foreign to me...so then I try to use the help, sometimes I get what I need, other times I can't find it. (In the IV help, I still haven't found where it tells you how to place a rectangular pattern of a a hole...I've searched under "holes", and "patterns", I still don't have a step-by-step procedure on exactly how to do it)
Gotta keep at it.

Thanks again.

3NW
Message 7 of 13
3NorthWave

> {quote:title=Mark_Flayler wrote:}{quote}
> There is a toggle on the right side of the screen in the Navigation bar to do this in 2010. In previous versions it is on the Inventor Standard Toolbar accross the top.

Thanks Mark for the shading toggle tip.
Much appreciated.

3NW
Message 8 of 13
JDMather

>I've searched under "holes", and "patterns"

No need to search. Simply click on the Rectangular Patterns tool and then hit F1 upper left corner of keyboard.

You might also want to search on sketch patterns which I normally recommend against, but hole placement is one good use of sketch patterns (center points that the hole tool will automatically find).

As far as I can remember this is pretty much the same as MDT once you get the dialog box up.

Keep with it, I taught MDT for years and when I started experimenting with Inventor I told the class up-front, "MDT is my favored program but we'll look at this Inventor program." Half way through the semester I was eating those words. It was obvious that MDT was completely, absolutely outdated technology. We seldom bothered to open it again the rest of the semester. I haven't needed anything in MDT for several years.

You might also want to read this document (maybe first). It will appear to be the same document but it goes just a bit more detail into some things as it was for a lecture while the later one I linked before was for a lab.
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf Edited by: JDMather on Jul 17, 2009 11:13 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
3NorthWave

Thanks again JD.
These documents are excellent.
I was able to find help info after drilling down (extensively) under the "patterned features" area of help. I couldn't believe how far down I had to go to get a step-by-step procedure on this. I was able to make it work once, then when I tried it again, it didn't behave (or seems to have not behaved) the way it did on my first (successful) attempt. For some reason on the second attempt, when I select a hole, it also selects the whole flange that the holes are drilled into, and then patterns the flange along with the holes. I can't figure out how to select just the holes now.

3NW
Message 10 of 13
JDMather

> I can't figure out how to select just the holes now.

Did you create the hole as a circle in the parent sketch
or as a circle in a child sketch
or with the Hole tool?

You should use the Hole tool. AFAIK this is the same recommendation in MDT.

Assuming you used the Hole tool simply select the feature in the browser rather than on the part. Seems to me this was the same in MDT.

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
3NorthWave

> {quote:title=JDMather wrote:}{quote}
> > I can't figure out how to select just the holes now.
>
> Did you create the hole as a circle in the parent sketch
> or as a circle in a child sketch
> or with the Hole tool?
>
> You should use the Hole tool. AFAIK this is the same recommendation in MDT.
>
> Assuming you used the Hole tool simply select the feature in the browser rather than on the part. Seems to me this was the same in MDT.
I used the hole command under "modify".

I probably should post this back under the original thread I started called "arraying holes".
My goal was to place 8 holes on a square flange, 2 holes per side. So the way I see it, I need to create two separate patterns containing four holes each, with each 4-hole pattern oriented 90 degrees from each other.

I deleted the first pattern I created, and all but two of the holes I had originally placed.
Then I tried the rectangular pattern command again and was successful.
I don't know what I did this time around that I wasn't doing before, but this time I got it to work.
I should probably spend more time on this right now so I hammer the technique in.

Thanks JD for taking the time to help on this.

3NW
Message 12 of 13
JDMather

>So the way I see it, I need to create two separate patterns containing four holes each

You might be doing too much work. Attach the file here.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
3NorthWave

Here's the part. I'm sure I didn't create this in the best fashion. It's one of my first attempts at creating a part.
I just started hammering away as best I could, so I'm sure my MDT colors will show.
I created a shelled part, then extruded an 8 x 8 flange on the top side (where the 8 holes reside).
I need to created another flange at the bottom side of the shelled portion, but the hole pattern may not be the same. Pretty slow going for now.

I suppose I could break this into three separate parts, then assemble it .

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

3NW

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report