Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To be able to twist and sweep a profile along a spline

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
SrinathSibi
1591 Views, 2 Replies

To be able to twist and sweep a profile along a spline

Hello,

I am quite new to the inventor society and am stuck on a problem. My task is to model a twisted rope and for that i need to twist and sweep a certain profile ( please see attached jpg for a rough idea of the profile ) at the same time along a spline path. Inventor is unable to accept the spline path as axis for a coil feature. 

One possible solution was to use sweep with a guide rail , and for the guide rail we would have to use a helix wrapped around said spline. 

Can anyone suggest a method to either simultaneously sweep and twist a profile, or to be able to wrap a helix around a spline in inventor? I have attached a picture of the required helix too.

Thank you in advance for any replies,

Srinath

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: SrinathSibi

I would use a texture rather than actually model the twisted tri-lobe. 

By the time you back up a bit it will look the same.

Much easier and smaller file size.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
PaulMunford
in reply to: SrinathSibi

I don't think that you can helix around a spline in Inventor, I would be happy to hear from anyone who knows how!

For this model, how about patterning a workplane along the spline, and then using a sketch block for the profile. You will need to set the rotation of the sketch block manually in each case. Finally you can loft between the sketches to get your rope.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Rope.png

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report