Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread feature - "From" plane - How to

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
acad-caveman
235 Views, 2 Replies

Thread feature - "From" plane - How to

Gentlemen.

I am still trying to figure out a bunch of things, one of which is how to use a "from" plane as a reference for feature dimensions.

In the attached file, I'd like to create the thread ( 7/16-20 ) depth to be 12.5mm from the front face of the part.

I have attempted a few different methods and none has produced the required results.

As it is, I've just winged the dimension as I can correct it in AutoCAD and in the resulting CAM file, but would like to know

what is the proper way of modeling it correctly in Inventor.

Thank You

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I'd recommend using the Hole command with a Counter Bore option and then a second as a thread to create this feature. 

This will ensure that the thread starts at the bottom of the counterbore and will allow you to control the tap drill diameter  thread size and length in one place.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3

Unfortunately that is not a workable solution because it isn't a true cbore, rather a very specific port configuration.

I did try to create the port with the min dia. to depth and then added a point on the face to create a threaded hole, but then Inventor complained that the feature did not change the part .

ABout the only option I have is to first make the thread as a hole feature and then do arevolved cut for the port.

Then I still have the bottom of the hole to worry about where there is a 100deg angle to the through dia.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report