Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
acad-caveman
Message 1 of 3 (114 Views)

Thread feature - "From" plane - How to

114 Views, 2 Replies
01-31-2012 10:21 PM

Gentlemen.

I am still trying to figure out a bunch of things, one of which is how to use a "from" plane as a reference for feature dimensions.

In the attached file, I'd like to create the thread ( 7/16-20 ) depth to be 12.5mm from the front face of the part.

I have attempted a few different methods and none has produced the required results.

As it is, I've just winged the dimension as I can correct it in AutoCAD and in the resulting CAM file, but would like to know

what is the proper way of modeling it correctly in Inventor.

Thank You

Product Support
dave.anderson
Message 2 of 3 (88 Views)

Re: Thread feature - "From" plane - How to

02-03-2012 07:42 AM in reply to: acad-caveman

I'd recommend using the Hole command with a Counter Bore option and then a second as a thread to create this feature. 

This will ensure that the thread starts at the bottom of the counterbore and will allow you to control the tap drill diameter  thread size and length in one place.

Dave Anderson
Premium Support Analyst – DLS Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

If I have answered your question, please "Accept Solution" so others may benefit as well.
Distinguished Contributor
acad-caveman
Message 3 of 3 (78 Views)

Re: Thread feature - "From" plane - How to

02-03-2012 10:34 AM in reply to: dave.anderson

Unfortunately that is not a workable solution because it isn't a true cbore, rather a very specific port configuration.

I did try to create the port with the min dia. to depth and then added a point on the face to create a threaded hole, but then Inventor complained that the feature did not change the part .

ABout the only option I have is to first make the thread as a hole feature and then do arevolved cut for the port.

Then I still have the bottom of the hole to worry about where there is a 100deg angle to the through dia.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube