Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on a new laptop

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
335 Views, 8 Replies

Thoughts on a new laptop

I'm in the market for a new laptop that'll, I hope, last for at least 3 yrs as far as capabilities of Inventor.

Assemblies avg about 100-200 parts, need for high end animations as well (this is what's killing my current system).

Anyways, I found this system and wanted your take on it:

Alienware M14x R2

• Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i7-3740QM Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • 1 TB SATA II Hard Drive (5400RPM)
  • 12GB, DDR3, 1600MHz
  • 14.0 inch HD  (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
  • 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
  • 2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M using NVIDIA Optimus technology

Price of $1600 as it's a refurbish and I'd also have to replace Windows 7 Home with Pro for Business which will add about $300.

I'm also looking at new M4700 or M6700 laptops but those are running around $3000+ and well....in this economy.....

Lastly, I'm not much of a fan of Dell, I'm more of a Gateway person as they've always done me well over the years and still do.

Anyways, your thoughts on this pre-holiday Friday.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

I have a Alienware (Dell) Mx17 iCore7 with Nvidia GTX660m, 12Gb of memory with dual hybrid drives in RAID0. A solid machine plus it has great speakers. Only use it when I am on the road. It's pretty much a desktop for performance.

The 14 might be a bit small for screen size. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair!

My current Gateway laptop is a 15.6" and I usually connect a second, wide screen monitor for the CAD window.

I've become a bit spoiled working on Inventor on a 42" widescreen...Smiley Happy

I just never heard of anyone doing CAD on an Alienware system, even Dell recommends their Precision systems over the Alien for CAD so I was a bit concerned.

Message 4 of 9
blair

Used to have Precession laptops but with the move to D3D by ADSK, any good gaming laptop will work. JD has a Mx18 that he uses as well.

I know for the screens, I have a HPZR30w moniter at work, a 30" with 2560 x 1600 res.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9
Ryan.Martinez

Inventor uses direct3d rather than open gl like most other cad platforms. That is probably why dell recommends one of their workstations with a quadro card. I would choose the alienware if I was you if you only use inventor.
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

Yeah, for some odd reason I've always wanted an Alien.

Must be the Dr. Sheldon Cooper in me....Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I found this one also:

Precision M6700

Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i7-3940XM Processor (Extreme 3.0GHz, 8M cache, Upgradable to Intel vPro technology)
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    1 TB SATA II Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    512GB 2.5 inch (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive
    32.0GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM, 4 DIMMS
    17.3 Inch UltraSharp FHD (1920x1080) PremierColor IPS RGB Anti-Glare, Premium Panel Guarantee
    2x Blu-Ray Burner
    NVIDIA Quadro K5000M with 4GB GDDR5
    Dell Outlet Precision Mobile Workstation M6700 Laptop

Price: $4,429.00

If I price out the very same system as new, it's $400 cheaper if I drop the 512GB 2.5 inch (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive. I'm sure I can do without the 2nd drive but is it worth the extra $400 and being a refurb?

Message 8 of 9
Ryan.Martinez

I am always hesitant to buy anything that has been refurbed, but that is just me. IMO the extra 400$ is worth it to get a new one. I would also keep the SSD over the Mechanical drive anyday.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyways, I found this system and wanted your take on it:

Alienware M14x R2

I've been running an Alienware M18 for a little over a year.  I like it.  I don't think I could stand the torture of trying to do CAD on a 14" screen.  I do a lot of work at home, it is hard enough working on the 18.4.  Some things I just hold off on doing till I can get into the office and work on dual screens.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report